the books written(?) by "jack hershey"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Atlantic, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jacks real name is John T. Hershey. Most of his books are technical treatises of different sorts. You can probably google some of them. This has been discussed on here before. His books are not the kind that are going to make the best sellers list.:)

#11     Jan 2, 2007
  2. zdreg

zdreg

what are the isbn numbers?

"traderkay

11-11-03 07:55 PM

All Jack groupies are welcome to contribute ISBN number of any of his 40 acclaimed books. Maybe I should start buying them up eh. I'll pay $100 per ISBN of 1 Jack Hershey book. Yes I got a spare 4K.

#12     Jan 2, 2007
  3. I've never asked him a question because I've never needed to... however he has come into my thread and other traders threads and tried to take them over with his psuedo intellectual drivel... I'm sure he sees himself as a guru but he just comes off as a pest to me

#13     Jan 2, 2007
  4. Why do you guys always want somebody else to do your work. Heres some I found within a couple of minutes. They are probably published by universities and government departments so I dont know if they have isbn numbers.

http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/search?q=au:John+T+Hershey&qt=hot_author

#14     Jan 2, 2007
  5. Gerry,

You and I have been members of ET for many years.

We both know the music that Jack plays.

The questions for you, why are you bringing up something that's been hammered at many times, debated many times, argued many times, threads closed and some eventually thrown into the chit chat dungeon???

Why are you worried about a newbie trader...don't you want that newbie trader to be on the other side of your trades???

Another question, do you understand his methodology or have actually used his methodology???

If you don't understand his method nor use his method (I know I don't)...why bother debating with him or with others about it.

By the way, I don't know the specifics of his method nor am I interested in his methods.

However, there's some things he's discussed in the past about the psychological aspects of trading and a few other things that have interested me and been helpful in sparking me to do research into something that resulted in being useful.

I don't need to like someone to learn something from them.

Anybody here at ET know that I'm a big fan of the psychological aspects of trading and I do make the effort in trying to read difficult messages about such even from a trader like Jack Hershey.

Here's a simple analogy or story.

I like talking about Japanese Candlestick patterns even though its not my primary methodology.

It's a controversial subject with many here at ET and I can hold my own weight with those that debate/argue about Japanese Candlestick patterns.

One of my favorite books is a book by Steve Nison called Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques...

A +300 page book.

Out of that book (mostly useless), there are 5 useful pages.

Five pages that started me to view differently what I was looking at on my own charts.

Five pages that sparked a thought that pushed me into a direction of discovering/fixing something I was doing wrong in my own trading even though it had nothing to do with any Japanese Candlestick pattern.

Therefore, I'm the type of trader that if I can find one useful piece of info out of material from an author I don't like nor believe in what he's trying to teach others...

Will I read another one of his books or messages even though I think the content is irritating or confusing???

The answer is YES because I may find something else that helps my trading (directly or indirectly).

Now, without the mumbo jumbo stuff and to answer your question directly.

Although I trade futures, Jack said something about stocks concerning volatility compression that spark my research into something very useful.

In fact, if you read some of my recent posts here at ET...you've read some posts where I talk about volatility.

Mostly generalizations but a few times I've been very specific in comments concerning the Emini Futures.

It's something that has helped involved my trading and helped me be more profitable.

Don't misunderstand, I didn't say Jack made me more profitable.

I've been using volatility analysis since the early 90's but have recently put more emphasis on understanding other areas of volatility as much as possible due to the fact that volatility has been declining overall in the markets that I trade...

Causing some position size management problems until I came across Jack's comments about volatility compression.

Once again, this is an old topic (Jack Hershey debates repeated many times) here at ET.

Some ET members have found Jacks academic works while others have not and continue to hammer at the topic for whatever reasons.

Looks like Bearbelly gave in and did the research for you.

:D

I think the below quote showed the real intention of this thread...

Mark

#15     Jan 2, 2007
  6. zdreg

zdreg

what does this list have to do with technical analysis.

answer: zero.

#16     Jan 2, 2007
  7. The list Bearbelly posted is different than what someone else posted in the past that concerned TA.

Keep looking (if your really interested), I'm sure you'll find something involving TA.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/search.php?s=

http://www.google.com

Hint: Typing Jack Hershey's name not needed.

Mark

#17     Jan 2, 2007
  8. Where does Jack say that he wrote a book about technical analysis? Seems to me that he stated they were mostly about environmental subjects. The man does not write books for profit. They are all on subjects that are trying to improve things. Give the man some credit. Crimeny. If you look you can see that my early posts were not very friendly towards Jack but I have been forced to change my mind. The guy can certainly rub you the wrong way but theres a lot there to learn if you can get past the first impressions..

#18     Jan 2, 2007

9. There is a cat calling a kettle black.

#19     Jan 2, 2007
  10. my $.02
    -kt

#20     Jan 2, 2007