The book: Trend following system by George Pruitt

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Shax, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Shax

Shax

Hi,

Has anyone read the book: Trend following system by George Pruitt? Are there complete trading system codes in Esylanguage?
    Is it interesting? Is it worth buying?

Thank you.

2. easymon1

easymon1

3. Nobert

Nobert

Hey Shax,

forgive me for going off topic, but here's something related -

Spend over +>$1000 for books in the last 4 yrs.
    Had books that were interesting (at least at first) yet,-not worth buying and had books that were boring and yet, - worth buying.

Would say that around 20% of the books turns out to be a - failures, if one can say so.

Like the Dalio's recommendation of ,,The Hero With A Thousand Faces''
    (in my personal case, since i already knew those concepts)

Another example - ,,The Illusion of The Knowledge''

Interesting at first, but at the end author started dropping bombs (the conclusion of the whole book (?)) on how average into SnP.
    Like da hell :confused: Had no idea that it was finance related.

And here's something boring, yet a must to buy :

1 h2qPR7ss5X0Kt0eonuBGfw.jpeg

If i were you, wouldn't wait for recommendations, would go out and get it & if turns out to be valuable, then that's some sort of an edge.
    (unless it's very expensive ? Seen some authors charging $1000 for a book, i think this one was at such price in one point of time : https://www.google.com/search?q=kil...Wu-ioKHWRzA1oQ_AUoAXoECBsQAw&biw=1366&bih=635)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  4. Dazz

Dazz

George Pruitt is Chief Editor & owner of Futures Truth Magazine, which publishes quarterly reports on some 700+bots (but it seems mag stopped at publishing with qtly 4, 2019; no quarterlys at all in 2020 so far). Trend trading info is on his site: https://www.trendfollowingsystems.com; which is useless as it does not have a particle of data or performance on anything. His book is over 10 years old and obsolete and worthless. His quarterly bot report is worthwhile but have to buy his magazine to get it. 2nd quarter 2016 is attached for an example.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  5. Shax

Shax

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Shax

Shax

For Nobert: you have a P.M.

Nobert likes this.
  7. Dazz

Dazz

8. Shax

Shax

Thanking you for your answers, I tried to test one of the T.S. on the site, inspired by Andreas Clenow's book:

http://georgepruitt.com/free-trend-following-system-with-indicator-tracker/#comment-6264

using the original formula of the site, in the Italian Future (Ftse Mib Future) in the period from 2000.1.3 to 2019.12.30, obtaining a Total Net Profit: 209,231.

The Total Net profit seems very interesting.... but it is obtained because in the formula there is this string:

posSize = maxList(1,intPortion(risk$Alloc/(atr*bigPointValue)));

that increases the positionsize (the invested capital); in fact if we remove this string the final result is this: Total Net Profit: 45,432.

I was able to improve the formula a little bit, inserting a Profit Target and also the StopLoss; the Equity has definitely improved, and above all the maximum Drawndown is only a fifth (1/5) of Total Net Profit.

This is the formula that I have been able to improve, but this T.S. is indicated for titles that have strong directional movements, because in the phases side, generates too many false signals:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {Trend Following 2 - from T.S: Trend Following System di George Pruitt}

Inputs: xAvgShortLen(50),xAvgLongLen(100),hhllLen(50),buyTrigPrice(h),shortTrigPrice(l),exit_proft(6000),protStop(2000);
    Inputs: atrLen(30),trailATRMult(3);
    Vars: avg1(0),avg2(0),lXit(0),sXit(0),atr(0);

avg1 = xaverage(c,xAvgShortLen);
    avg2 = xaverage(c,xAvgLongLen);

atr = avgTrueRange(atrLen);

If marketPosition <> 1 and avg1 > avg2 and buyTrigPrice = highest(buyTrigPrice,hhllLen) then buy next bar at open;
    If marketPosition <> -1 and avg1 < avg2 and shortTrigPrice = lowest(shortTrigPrice,hhllLen) then sellshort next bar at open;

If marketPosition = 0 then
    Begin
    lXit = o - trailATRMult * atr ;
    sXit = o + trailATRMult * atr;

if c < lXit then Sell next bar at open;
    If c > sXit then BuyToCover next bar at open;
    end;

SetProfitTarget (exit_proft);

SetStopLoss(protStop);

---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  9. Shax