The Book of Luke

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by expiated, May 11, 2018.

1. stu

stu

The 15th Chapter of Luke…

This is the chapter that describes how those who lose their way and do bad things but return to glorify their redeemer, will be more highly valued than anyone who kept on the straight and narrow.
    In other words, Bible Jesus would value redemption by A.Hitler above all those who stuck to the straight and narrow.
    It is easy to see how these stories were written by ordinary people that had similar morality to Trump...just praise me and I'll accept you above everything else.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    #51     Sep 12, 2018
  2. expiated

expiated

The 16th Chapter of Luke…

The parable of the unjust steward is the story of the guy who was wasting his boss’s possessions, got fired for it, and then cheated his boss a second time in order to ingratiate himself with his boss’s debtors. It is also where the Messiah states that no one can serve two masters.

The Law, the Kingdom, and the Prophets is one of the places where Yeshua indicates that no part of the Law becomes void.

And the account of the rich man and Lazarus is at least one of the places where the Messiah indicates that hell is a place of anguish and torment, akin to burning in a flame, whether literally or figuratively.

#52     Sep 15, 2018
  3. stu

stu

ah yes...

The 16th Chapter of Luke…
    "You cannot be the slave of two masters."

Where Bible Jesus's hypocrisy comes to the fore yet again.

With no acknowledgment to the evil of slavery, this horribly flawed philosophy in parables is acceptance of it . Condoning and tolerating such evil while sermonizing about what's supposed to be right.
    If that isn't serving two masters, then nothing is.

Cherry on the cake of Luke is the usual bullying threat for the gullible of hell fire and damnation.
    If this is supposed to be some kind of Law, it renders itself ethically and morally void.

The most that can be gained from this passage might be that supporting a vulgar, constantly lying, adulterous pervert and self-confessed sex abuser president while at the same time holding Republican ideals , is serving 2 diametrically opposed masters at once. That much being indefensible and wrong.

Maybe what Bible Luke's clumsy story was really supposed to be trying to say.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    #53     Sep 16, 2018
  4. expiated

expiated

I came back to The 3rd Chapter of Luke to note for myself that this is where I can find the genealogy of the Messiah from Joseph's side of the family.

#54     Sep 25, 2018
  5. stu

stu

Disneyfication of a 4,000 year old story Beauty and the Beast, does not itself give proper genealogy to any of its characters.

Similarly the Biblification of an ancient God taken from classical mythology is not the true or proper genealogy of an already established Persian deity.

Proper genealogy has to be be multi sourced.

Any proper study or investigation of proposed ancestry or family history and antecedence of a Bible Jesus inevitably finds very much earlier versions of existing Gods which were also born of a virgin on December 25th attended by shepherds, some of which became traveling teachers and masters known as Messiah and Savior, along with twelve companions, promising followers immortality, while performing miracles, then being sacrificed, buried and rising again in 3 days; so on and so forth.

Genealogy for Jesus leads far back to older versions which Luke authors plagiarized to re-work. Just like Disney.

#55     Sep 27, 2018
  6. expiated

expiated

The first subheading in the 17th Chapter of Luke as I memorized it is: "Jesus Warns of Offenses." But it seems to me that a more descriptive title would be: "Jesus Teaches on Sin."

I was kind of surprised at how much the Messiah packed into just a few sentences. This is where Jesus teaches that it would be better for anyone who would "cause one of these little ones to sin" to be cast into the sea with a millstone hung around his neck.

This immediately brings to my mind those who are trying to pass laws to force believers to celebrate what Yahweh regards as abomination.

The second topic is kind of interesting, because a lot of people are fond of quoting the words "do not judge." But here, Yeshua teaches the people "if your brother sins, rebuke him."

It is also here that the Messiah teaches on forgiving others.

The second subheading I had memorized is "Faith and Duty," but they are actually two separate topics (I believe).

The first is about what one can do with the faith of a mustard seed. The second kind of goes along with the admonition not to think too highly of one' self. (When you keep God's commandments, it's not really that big of a deal. You are simply doing what you are supposed to do.)

The incident with the ten lepers is pretty easy to remember in full, so I'm going to move on to "The Coming of the Kingdom."

Many, many years ago I wondered exactly what was the "Kingdom of God," so I did a study on the topic and it seemed to me that almost every time the Bible used these words, it was saying something about salvation—hence, this is now my core understanding of the phrase.

The main thing that struck me when I read the related passages this time was how a lot of people have their priorities all mixed up. Many people are extremely concerned with having a good time in this life—which, in the light of forever, is essentially little more than a vapor—to the detriment of their having a good time in eternity.

They are obsessed with the material and the here-and-now, so much so that they are unable to delay gratification, even though doing so would reward them with infinitely multiplied benefits in the future.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    #56     Nov 3, 2018
  7. stu

stu

In order to tell whether the Bible might be right or wrong, one has to be able to discern between those two things before understanding it, not after.

People can't confirm what's right by studying the Bible unless they can already distinguish right wrong good bad apart from each other beforehand.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    #57     Nov 5, 2018
  8. expiated

expiated

(Oops! I accidentally skipped Chapter 18. I'll have to come back to it later.)

Details from the five headings I memorized from the 19th Chapter of Luke
    1. Jesus comes to Zacchaeus’ house
    2. The parable of the minas
    3. The triumphal entry
    4. Jesus weeps over Jerusalem
    5. Jesus cleanses the temple
    …more-or-less remain with me, with the exception of the parable of the minas, so this is the only passage for which I am writing notes to myself.

This was the account of a nobleman who went into a far country, but first called ten of his servants, giving each of them a mina, expecting them to engage in business and present him with what they gained in his absence upon his return.

#58     Nov 14, 2018
  9. stu

stu

18th Chapter of Luke

Strolling into the Temple's Meditative Garden, Luke and Mara were silently greeted by Master Saba Sebatyne. Ben lagged behind them, his hands clutching the Datacron that had been forgotten. He had said nothing since leaving Jedi HQ, which filled Mara with growing concern.

"Has he moved at all?" Luke asked.

"No. Master K'Kruhk has been observing him" stated the Barabel

"Then stay close but keep yourself hidden" .

Master Sabatyne vanished into the surrounding foliage. Luke could sense K'Kruhk and Saba were hidden, ready to emerge if the situation called for it.

As they drew closer, they could make out the words of the former Sith Lord.
    1. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge
    2. There is no fear, there is power.
    3. I am the heart of the force
    4. I am the mystery of darkness in balance with chaos and harmony
    5. Immortal in the Force
    Luke sensed Saba's growing tension, but the Barabel remained where she had hid.

#59     Nov 14, 2018
  10. expiated

expiated

The 18th Chapter of Luke:

I think I've run across some hyper faith ministers who teach that if you really have faith, you will ask God for something just once, and after that, simply thank Him for having already answered your prayer. But the parable of the persistent widow would seem to differ with that.

The story of the Pharisee and the tax collector sort of sums up the difference between Christianity and most every other religion (i.e., you can never do enough good [be moral enough] or become perfect enough to earn your way into heaven, moksha, nirvana or a state of Cleared Theta Clear, but must instead rely on the mercy of God and Yahweh's assigning you with His righteousness by your coming under the cover of His Son, Yeshua the Messiah).

There's not much to comment on with respect to the incident with the disciples and the little infants.

The story of the rich young ruler sort of reinforces my personal opinion that life is primarily about two things:
    1. Making (good) choices
    2. Forming healthy relationships (especially one's relationship with the Lord)
    The previous two times (in the Book of Luke) that Yeshua foretold of His death (aside from this time) occurred in the 9th chapter.

I also have no comments regarding the incident in which the beggar received his sight, so I can move on to Chapter 20 next. After that, there's only four chapters left to go.

#60     Dec 2, 2018