The Book of Luke

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by expiated, May 11, 2018.

1. Wallet

Wallet

Some manuscripts read 70.

Judgement wasn't a result of the actions taken against those sent, but denying Jesus, God. verse 16

Any difference today?

God's judgement is fair, sin in ingnorance vs. sin in knowledge. To whom much is given, much is required.

"Can you picture the distress of a farmer when he sees his fields golden with harvest, and there are no servants to gather that harvest in? It was such an agony that filled the heart of Jesus as He looked out on His harvest field.” (Morrison)

http://devotionals.ochristian.com/George-H.-Morrison-Devotional-Sermons/0613.shtml

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    #31     Jul 15, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. stu

stu

God lol
    Love is the absence of judgement.

#32     Jul 17, 2018
  3. %%
    Though it was 70 also; maybe 71 , counting Holy Spirit....

#33     Jul 20, 2018
  4. stu

stu

Once you believe it's 70 it's 70 ; you understand the mind of God perfectly, whenever it conforms with what you believe.

#34     Jul 27, 2018
  5. %% A good rule follows.
    NKV, NASB have 70 , both known for accuracy+ 72 in footnotes:cool::cool:

#35     Aug 6, 2018
  6. expiated

expiated

The Eleventh Chapter of Luke:

Each of the eight or so subheadings in this chapter pretty much bring to mind (for me) the details that follow them, which leaves me with only a couple of comments…

First, verse twenty-eight reminds me of a time when I did a study of the Bible in response to friends of mine who were justifying disobeying biblical teachings by stating that God wanted them to be happy and wanted them to have fun.

To my surprise, I discovered that I could find nowhere in the Bible where it said that it is God’s will that we have fun. Moreover, the closest I could come to finding passages stating that God wants us to be happy were those that said, “blessed is…”

Interestingly enough, in virtually every case, Scripture stated in one way or another that blessed (happy) is the person who obeys—not disobeys—God’s word, at which point, I summarily discounted the arguments of my peers, whose view of God and His wishes were obviously about as erroneous and misguided as they could possibly be.

My other thought was that two of the verses, in commenting on the Pharisees and lawyers (verses 42 and 46) reminded me of people today who are always on the lookout for some type of criticism they can levy against believers (“you weigh men down with burdens hard to bear”) while they themselves “disregard…the love of God…the thing(s) you should have done without neglecting the other.”

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    #36     Aug 26, 2018
    userque likes this.
  7. userque

userque

That reminds me of this:

How can believers be in the world, but not of the world?
    https://www.gotquestions.org/in-but-not-of-world.html

"...

...Pleasure is no longer our calling in life, as it once was, but rather the worship of God."​

#37     Aug 26, 2018
  8. stu

stu

The Nineteenth Chapter of Luke:
    But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

There is no morality in blindly condescending to religious superstition, or in finding ways to replace normal pleasure with false justifications for following immoral scripture, or in trying to condemn anyone for simply stating the blindingly obvious. That Bible God, has more to do with overarching evil, inhumanity and cruelty in its content than with good.

Religion is the premature excuse for explanations from ignorance that have way overstayed their time.

#38     Aug 26, 2018
  9. userque

userque

What did Jesus mean when He said to not cast your pearls before swine (Matthew 7:6)?
    https://www.gotquestions.org/pearls-before-swine.html

"...

In His sermon, Jesus uses dogs and pigs as representative of those who would ridicule, reject, and blaspheme the gospel once it is presented to them. We are not to expose the gospel of Jesus Christ to those who have no other purpose than to trample it and return to their own evil ways. Repeatedly sharing the gospel with someone who continually scoffs and ridicules Christ is like casting pearls before swine. We can identify such people through discernment, which is given in some measure to all Christians (1 Corinthians 2:15–16).

The command not to cast your pearls before swine does not mean we refrain from preaching the gospel. Jesus Himself ate with and taught sinners and tax collectors (Matthew 9:10). In essence, the instruction in Matthew 7:6 is the same that Jesus gave to His apostles when He said, “If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town” (Matthew 10:14). We are to share the gospel, but, when it becomes apparent that the gospel is not welcome, we are to move on.

..."

#39     Aug 27, 2018
  10. stu

stu

How very Christian to label fellow human beings pigs dogs and swine.
    Perfect example of how to show the way hate is baked into the religion.

#40     Aug 27, 2018