The Book of Luke

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by expiated, May 11, 2018.

1. Good1

Good1

Is it necessary to believe all the stories?

Is this an all or nothing proposition?

What if the story is blasphemous toward and god that is actually good?

Personally, I would believe the cross scenario and the escape-from-a-tomb scenario.

But I also believe the cross scenario, as framed, is blaspemous. And while a return from "dead" to flesh is impressive, it doesn't mean the Kingdom of God, the main message, as you say, is about re-stocking a world of flesh...another concept I consider to be blasphemous.

So it appears I believe in the two pillars of Judeo-Christianity, but do not interpret their meaning the same as your book does. I consider these interpretations to be worse than just stories: really antithetical to the main message.

#21     Jun 23, 2018
  2. expiated

expiated

Luke Chapter 7

This is the chapter where Yeshua compares the people of that generation (or perhaps primarily the Pharisees and lawyers) to children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another: “We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.”

Also, it’s in this chapter where there is an incident (when the Messiah speaks to the crowds concerning John the baptizer, commenting more or less that those dressed in soft clothing and living in luxury are in king’s courts) that highlights in my mind how most Americans today live like royalty of years gone by.

Even in observing people of “limited means” I find we are constantly entertaining ourselves with cell phones, video games, Wi-Fi, satellite T.V., stereo systems, and big screen televisions; access to the best entertainment the world has to offer 24/7.

And there’s no worries about starving to death if this year’s crop is wiped out. We can simply walk down to the local Walmart or Trader Joe’s and choose from a wide variety of foods beyond the imagination of almost anyone from the past and even many from the present. (If we can’t afford it, there’s always SNAP.)

As a matter of fact, who needs to walk? Most families in America own their own car—or cars—regardless of their socio-economic status. And if they become ill? Well, there are hospitals and clinics galore, and often insurance to help pay the doctors’ bills, guys and gals who are far more knowledgeable than the medicine men and physicians of the past.

Oh, and did I mention refrigeration, running water, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and central heating? It seems to me that few kings down through the ages ever had it so good.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    #22     Jun 23, 2018
  3. Good1

Good1

I see, you are a Sunday school teacher blogging your talking points?

The intended audience is between ages 10-16?

#23     Jun 23, 2018
  4. Good1

Good1

Follow-up question, are the 10-16 yr olds in your Sunday school class expected to raise their hands before asking a question?

#24     Jun 23, 2018
  5. expiated

expiated

Luke Chapter 8

Events in the eighth chapter of Luke are pretty well covered by the subheadings.

Nonetheless, a while ago, I did have to check to see what “Woman Healed” and “Girl Restored to Life” were referring to. But at this point, I know it was the woman who had been suffering from a discharge of blood for twelve years, and that the girl was the daughter of Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue.

So the only thing I actually need to note (due to my not being consciously aware that it is found in this chapter) is that when Yeshua shares “The Parable of Revealed Light,” it is here that He is quoted as saying, “…for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away.”

#25     Jun 24, 2018
  6. Good1

Good1

I get it, if you can make it to chapter 24 while completely ignoring the audience, you can get a Divinity Degree from Knox Theological Seminary that you can apply toward an assistant youth pastor position at one of the Christ-The-King mega-churches...and from there, work your way up?

#26     Jun 24, 2018
  7. expiated

expiated

The ninth chapter of Luke is about the most challenging one for me when it comes to remembering all the subheadings, but I guess it’s now familiar enough that I still managed to pass the test I just gave myself.

As for the details, it’s in the section where Yeshua talks about taking up one’s cross and following Him that He says He will be ashamed of whomever is ashamed of Him and His words when He comes in His glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

The boy who Jesus healed of an unclean spirit is the same one who Jesus’s disciples were unable to cure, in spite of the fact that Jesus gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases when he sent them out at the beginning of the chapter.

The section where Jesus teaches on no sectarianism is the incident in which His disciples tried to stop someone who was casting out demons in the Messiah’s name because the guy was not a part of their group.

The passage where He teaches about rejection refers to His being turned away by the Samaritan village because His face was set toward Jerusalem, followed by James and John asking the Messiah if He wanted them to tell fire to come down from heaven to consume the place.

And at the end of the chapter, where Jesus talks about the cost of discipleship, is when He comments on leaving the dead to bury their own dead, and on how no one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God—not to mention that foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but "the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."

#27     Jun 25, 2018
  8. stu

stu

An ounce of practice is worth more than a ton of preaching. Gandhi

#28     Jun 26, 2018
  9. %%
    Great points.
    And he liked /quoted the old testament.:cool::cool:Some people wrongly think old testament is for Jews + New testament is for Christian .....Jesus quoted/lived both.Thanks. Proverbs is real practical.

#29     Jul 13, 2018
    expiated likes this.
  10. expiated

expiated

In the tenth chapter of Luke I was struck by how much judgment was evidenced in the words of the Messiah (verses 10 through 16) when He sent out the 72 (for some reason I was thinking it was 70).

I was also reminded that Christ’s account of the Good Samaritan was prompted by the questions of a lawyer who wanted to justify himself.

And the story of Mary and Martha brings to my mind a certain brand of social justice warrior who is always happy to quote particular teachings of the Son while at the same time rejecting the Son and especially rejecting the Father—placing more importance on one's actions than on the relationship one has with the Savior.

#30     Jul 15, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.