The Book of Luke

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by expiated, May 11, 2018.

1. .sigma

.sigma

Evil is only bad to the observer.. usually for pussy-cats lol

But seriously man, whats your beef with God? Any rational human knows they can't possibly conceive of the concept of "God", some omnipotent entity chilling in the abyss of the infinitude. No human can even think deeply enough of some all-father. Your conception of God is elementary because you are telling yourself that "God created everything, including evil", how tf do you know that? That's a bold claim for a little being. I'm not claiming to know shit, I don't know and can only speculate like you, but I'd rather not since I'm not that brave.

#101     Dec 4, 2019
  2. stu

stu

You must get some sort of perverse or depraved comfort from believing such sanctimonious nonsense. However it doesn't excuse the lack of moral standards you seem to be happy dodging around with made up superstitious childlike fairy tales.

You are vindicating an imaginary super being from the evil it is supposed to have created and clearly attributed to it in the Bible. That's bad philosophy piled upon bad ethics.

Just fyi, the story has it that God wouldn't allow Adam access to the tree of knowledge, so how exactly could he possibly discern sin from evil when he had no knowledge and therefore no ability to choose? No benevolent God would pull a trick like that.

I mean, these are not even consistent, non-self contradicting fairy tales.

#102     Dec 5, 2019
  3. stu

stu

I'm not the one making bold claims. I'm the one responding to bold claims like "God is omnipotent. God created everything".
    I suppose my beef if I have one must be with the screaming lack of moral and ethical standards inherent in such claims.

In light of your query it's interesting you didn't direct your post to Wallet, who seems to claim to know everything his imaginary God thinks and is going to do.

#103     Dec 5, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  4. Wallet

Wallet

And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Gen. 2:9 KJV

Don’t cut the verse short. As stated before, it’s disobedience to God. By choosing/disobedience he came into knowledge.

When a parent tells their child don’t touch the stove, are they being a bad parent because they’re denying the child of being burned?

#104     Dec 6, 2019
    murray t turtle and .sigma like this.
  5. stu

stu

Nothing to do with cutting the verse short. Actually cutting it short might mitigate the despicable acts God commits, although not really.

He (Adam) couldn't possibly have come into knowledge by being disobedient. He had no knowledge. No knowledge of what it was to be obedient/disobedient.
    He had no knowledge for choosing obedience/disobedience or even good/evil ... until he had eaten of the tree!

Your Lord God pulled a very nasty Catch22 on Adam.
    At this point in Bible fiction, you have to ask yourself why would God condemn Adam when he had no knowledge of what was obedient or disobedient, or of good or evil?

So how come God didn't grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life , the tree of knowledge, the tree of good and the tree of evil in the midst of the garden?
    And why not then tell Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge first so he could have made a truly free will choice of whether to eat of the tree of evil. eh?

To your analogy, growing a tree 'pleasant to the sight' is like God putting 'pleasant to the sight' candy on a hot stove telling a six month old child - who has no means or necessary knowledge to understand - not to eat it.
    Compound that with the additional evil act of a parent punishing that child and all other children for eternity with every kind of pestilence, disease, death and unconscionable thing because one child didn't have the knowledge to freely apply its will in choosing not to burn itself.

I suggest for a so called loving God to choose the kind of despicably cruel and deceitful methods found in Genesis to create awareness of evil, is nothing but fundamentally evil itself.

Your God, along with the excusing you afford to it, are clearly morally and ethically indefensible.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    #105     Dec 7, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  6. .sigma

.sigma

That dude and you are on the same coin just different sides. I'm not claiming anything. I know I know nothing. I have no idea if there is a God, but the concept of religion, especially when you read the history of the church and all the mysticism and Gnosticism that eventually grew into what we now call Christianity is very interesting, and I understand its importance to most people. Christianity was unique with the trinitarian doctrine and I respect that. But other than that I know just as much as the next man about the multie-verse.

But youre attaching morality and ethics at some creator? Whats ethical to one isn't for others. Ethics is a human concept. Do you think aliens have "ethics"? Is ethics and morality universal? I don't think so man.

#106     Dec 7, 2019
  7. stu

stu

Dude, we're all on the same coin in one way or another.

But look..
    You're not making claims.
    I'm not making claims.
    The only ones making claims here are the religious.

In context to what you say, no one knows if there is a God anymore than no one knows if there are Fairies at the bottom of the garden. So really both should be treated the same, except one of them isn't.

One of them developed a long history of claiming fact when there wasn't any, claiming stuff to be true (the only truth), when it could not possibly be, and one of them was forced through means of power, fear and the human propensity towards superstition, into every aspect of life throughout society and at one point or another, into the very fabric of just about every institution.
    I agree with you, it is interesting how that did and even could happen, given that essentially no one even knows that God (or fairies) exist.

Again no, I'm not attaching morality and ethics to some creator. The religious do that.
    They claim imaginary God is good when the basic instruction manual in the form of the Bible, which is part and parcel of the whole claim, clearly shows God as no such thing. It's not me doing that.
    All I'm doing is pointing it out.

And it doesn't matter one jot if ethics are universal or not. The ones we adapt, evolve and then adopt are the ones specifically considered to address those main issues in life which can either benefit human beings (moral) or cause serious harm (immoral). From that basic secular standard, a whole spectrum of what is good, bad or even evil can be justified. Introducing an imaginary God adds nothing extra, except more unwarranted claims.

btw on a side note, check it out... it is the case that Christianity was not unique with its trinitarian doctrine. Holy Trinities are found to have existed in 21st century BC all over the place and throughout ancient history.
    Now we both know something.

#107     Dec 8, 2019
  8. %%
    LOL;
    the LORD + Hebrew king Solomon like profits+ capitalism also.Proverbs 3; honor the Lord with your capital/wealth. Stick a fork in Sanders=- he is done .LOL:D:D.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#108     Dec 8, 2019
  9. Good1

Good1

I also find the official narrative to be repugnant as well blasphemous toward any god that is actually Good. It's because i have long since raised my standards of what "good" must be, if it existed as a Living Being. I can now describe a good Good that no Christian will believe in, and yet, the good that i can describe is actually very good. First, i find it odd that Christians will not raise their standard of what is "good", even when faced with clear descriptions of a better higher Good. And i find it odd that you seem to think that what Christians put out there for consumption as the official narrative is all we have to eat. I would rather starve than eat what they have offered, and so would you. It does not mean there is not a feast to be had elsewhere.

I mean, how hard is it really to admit that killing one's own only son so sinners can come into your house and eat the food of the dead son...is not good? In ANY world?

And then, how hard is it to admit that if the son isn't dead then how is it good to say that he died? Unless one is speaking in parables, this is a hell of a way to describe one's gods.

It is accepted for one reason only: it offers "salvation" to whomever believes it. Indeed it does, if remaining a person (forever) is one's core motivating agenda. But it is not the actual salvation that was actually offered, which expects sinners to die for the benefit of Christ, and not the other way round.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    #109     Dec 31, 2019
  10. expiated

expiated

What's been titled "The Lord's Prayer" in the eleventh chapter of Luke (and the sixth chapter of Matthew) is actually, from what I understand, a model prayer. I tried to use it as such in the past, but failed to repeat my own version enough to commit it to memory, which is why I'm making a second attempt now. I have no idea where I put the text I wrote back then, so hopefully what I write today will still be here for me to return to if I need to do so, provided I don't forget having done this here.

"Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. (For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.) Amen."

I know what kind of love You have given me, that I should be called a child of God, so I pray to You as my heavenly Father in Whom I trust, the one true God, from whom are all things and for whom I exist, knowing that whoever would draw near to You must believe that You are, and that You are a "rewarder" of those who diligently seek You.

I acknowledge You, Father, as my source, my Provider and my strength—as Almighty God, in whom I trust—Creator of heaven and earth and all there is; a holy God, worthy of praise, honor and glory; to be magnified and glorified; who from before the foundation of the world ordained a plan by which You would reconcile a people to Yourself.

And so I pray, Father, that as your child I would be faithful in doing my part in bringing your plan of salvation to completion—that Your will would be done on Earth as it is in heaven.

I pray also that You would meet my needs for this day, according to Your riches in glory by Yeshua the Messiah, and as You provided those in the wilderness with just enough manna to last them for one day, that I would be content to trust You with the future.

I thank You that You are faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness, and I ask You to do so, and to give me the strength, by Your holy Spirit, to forgive those who sin against me.

And finally Father, I know that you are guiding my life, and in my own power I am incapable of resisting temptation. So I pray that you would not lead me into temptation, but that I would stay on the righteous path You would have me choose, so as not to make it necessary four You to use circumstances as a means of revealing to me my true character or the state of my spiritual development—that I would trust You and Your grace for the strength I need to resist temptation before it becomes sin.

For You have first place in all things Father and everything belongs to You. It is You who is in charge and in whose presence I live my life. The kingdom, the power and the glory are all yours, forever and ever.

So be it!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    #110     Apr 16, 2020
    .sigma and murray t turtle like this.