The Book of Jonah

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by kmiklas, Jan 22, 2021.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

My friend loves this book... it's his favorite book in The Bible.

I've read it several times so that we can discuss over drinks. I have my interpretations (largely related to Jonah's stubbornness and spitefulness towards Ninevah), but I'm looking for different points of view.

Can anyone point me to an intelligent, insightful interpretation thereof?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. maxinger

maxinger

I have read it several times.
    I am totally confused.

Can humans survive inside the whale body for 3 days with all the corrosive acidic stomach liquid & no oxygen & total darkness?

Or is it some divine intervention?

After 3 days, did Jonah tell us what really happened inside the whale's body?

So based on what scientists understand, will the bible be updated?

Thanks

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Don't get hung up on the literal whale... read it as a metaphor.

Jonah wanted Ninevah to burn. God was going to destroy the city... fine with Jonah! Modern-day Iranians; the Jews had no love for them. When God asked him to preach repentance, and possibly save the city... Jonah probably thought "No thanks.. you can kill 'em all."

Jonah left town, and got as far away as he could: at sea, asleep, during a hurricane! If you've ever been out at sea during a storm, you will know fear... yet Jonah slept, in defiance.

His heart was hardened even unto death: when he told the sailors to throw him overboard.

After three days he relented, went back, preached... and Ninevah repented!!! Yet, Jonah still wanted the city to burn.

The hard-heartedness of Jonah stands in stark contrast to God's love for all people: Jew, Gentile, and Ninevah.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    maxinger likes this.
  4. %%
    Its like JPM [ JP Morgan] said , i believe it all. or none of it. Right/divine help.
    IF you knew Genesis 1; 1 was true + it is , no problem with the rest of it.
    I saw a DOW derrivative daytrader make all kinds of money;
    looked liked a miracle to me+ it would be for a turtle LOL.
    But really i noted it was easy for him.....................................................................................................................+ he did it much more than 3 days/3 weeks.................................................................................

Wallet and maxinger like this.
  5. Wallet

Wallet

Jesus quoted Jonah as fact, (Matt 12:39-41) good enough for me:)

murray t turtle and kmiklas like this.
  6. Wallet

Wallet

One of my favorite Biblical commentators is Chuck Missler. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago but his recordings are still available to listen at Blue Letter Bible.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/audio_video/missler_chuck/

Chuck is literally a rocket scientist turned preacher. His commentary is different than most, makes you think.

kmiklas likes this.
  7. toby400

toby400

These preachers never come back from the "other side" to confirm the existence of life after death. By the same token there have been a few 'spiritualists' who promised to return with news from the 'other side.' None did.Vast swathes of people in the American 'Bible Belt' and different religions around the world still cling to the prospect of another life after death to compensate them for a shit life in this world. So live your life now because it is not a rehearsal for another beyond your demise.

8. kmiklas

kmiklas

Did you read the book of Jonah?

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. toby400

toby400

It is an interesting and well crafted story (fiction) and no doubt fascinates children today.

10. %%
    Good questions, mr Max.
    Actually all the better translation/translations note it as ''The LORD prepared and appointed a great[huge] fish.....]Jonah 1,AMPC, NKJV,KJV[King James Bible]
    WHO says no oxygen?? Even an alligator gar [freshwater fish] can take oxygen direct from the air.........................................................................................................
    Dr John Hagee said he came out looking like a leopard, because of the stomach acid.
    I've had the LORD heal me more than a few times/even though many in the church think God can only heal with doctors/LOL
    Jonah may have died, in the great fish's belly?? Jonah 2;17 AMPC/Amplified Classic Bible.
    Some translations are better than others/no updates needed.
    Scientists dont even know all the healing + health God put in an apple.

#10     Jan 24, 2021