The Bill to re-instate the draft now in Congress

Discussion in 'Politics' started by K.C., Apr 20, 2004.

1. So when is the fetus then a "baby/child." Half way to pregnancy, 5 minutes till birth, once the umbilical chord is cut?

I thought that was Mills?

So is everyone who seems to devote their lives to a "greater good," including risking or even knowingly sacrificing their lives for important causes, just posturing or resisting their nature? Or could it be that some people are selfish freeloaders (which is why a draft would be necessary if our nation were in danger), while some others are honestly inclined to dedicate themselves to the greater good?

#71     Apr 25, 2004
  2. I remember in philosophy class when we read from a "feminist philosopher" on ethics (defended by a couple of students), who argued that rather than trying to come up with a reasoned and logical model for our ethics, one that makes our decisions as objective and able to be measured as possible, that we should consider simply referring to our inner compassion. These voices, they claimed, would allow us to make decisions based upon our sympathy, empathy, caring, blah blah etc. I immediately pointed out that this moral relativism would result in nothing but ethical chaos, where one person's actions cannot be judged or condemned by the ethics of others. And of course I was promptly met with ad hominems and resentment by a few (and support OUTSIDE of the classroom by many). You are right Darkhorse that there must be standard for how we measure the ethics of our actions, and that moral relativism only breeds chaos.

[/B][/QUOTE]

#72     Apr 26, 2004
  3. K.C.

K.C.

4. K.C.

K.C.

#74     May 29, 2004