The Bill to re-instate the draft now in Congress

Discussion in 'Politics' started by K.C., Apr 20, 2004.

1. rgelite

rgelite

:) :) :)

#31     Apr 21, 2004
  2. fasting is one of the dumbest things i can think of

#32     Apr 21, 2004
  3. Trader Vic is a huge admirer of Ayn Rand.

:)

#33     Apr 21, 2004
  4. rgelite

rgelite

Indeed he is.

BTW, I reconsidered my ignoring your posts and took you off my list. The issue with Maverick seems to have lessons learned by everyone, posters and readers alike. It seems best left behind.

And I do enjoy reading the essentials in your posts, usually just once :p but nonetheless it's a refreshing pov at times. Good to see you back, too.

#34     Apr 21, 2004
  5. K.C.

K.C.

Testing of New York guardsmen: first confirmed cases of Iraq war depleted uranium exposure

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/apr2004/dura-a21.shtml

#35     Apr 21, 2004
  6. GG, the purpose of fasting in the context that RM referred to it is about discipline.

I happen to agree with RM. I too don't do it (even though there is pressure on me to).

I also agree with you that fasting may be "dumb". But so are a lot of things that are done in the name of "discipline".

I know you have not served in the military. But trust me...all the marching (for example) is just "dumb". It has no practical use (how many parades are soldiers really in?).

The fact that marching serves no purpose would seem to make it "dumb". But it is part of learning discipline. Same with shining your shoes/boots. Shiny boots don't make for a better soldier. Having the discipline to keep them shiny DOES make for a better soldier.

So just because something is "dumb" does not mean it has no value. It's all about context.

Peace,
    :)RS

#36     Apr 21, 2004
  7. The movement to blame Israel for America's Middle East woes is pretty untenable. The Untied States has excellent relations with Jordan and Egypt, two Middle east states that have had a rapprochement with Israel. The problems stem from radicalism which that would not go away if Israel were suddenly not a friend to the US.

How many Libertarians are such because of principle and how many proclaim to be Libertarian because they are simply selfish and don't wish to undertake civic and patriotic obligations, yet would like the benefits thereto from the sacrifices of others?

#37     Apr 21, 2004
  8. rgelite

rgelite

Good point and why, because Libertarianism admits pretty much anyone into its party who is just "for freedom, man" (without understanding its underlying principles and responsibilities) I don't consider myself one. These are not selfish people by its classical definition; rather, they are self-indulgent. There's a world of difference.

http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/sanctions.html scroll about half-way down

#38     Apr 21, 2004
  9. The move to introduce the legislation by a democrat may be a strategic move by the democrats.

I believe Bush will bring back the draft after the election, and is intentionally keeping his plans quiet for now.

Bringing the issue to the forefront may in fact favor Kerry, as Kerry would be less likely to favor the draft, as he wants to bring in UN troops to Iraq, in addition to his policy being not in favor of starting wars the way Bush's has.

The democrats need an issue to wake up the youth of today, and get the voting age young men and women to vote out Bush.

#39     Apr 21, 2004
  10. Marching and boots are also about uniformity and fostering a communal bond. This become extremely important things when preparing for, let alone in actually facing, combat!

#40     Apr 21, 2004