The Biggest Scam in America

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nobert, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Nobert

Nobert

2. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

Let's just give everyone a college degree. You could have your choice of about 20 different college degrees. You just pick the one you want. No one would probably even notice.

Let's just give everyone a college degree.

3. The real scam is requiring degrees where no degree is required to do the job. OJT is adequate in most cases. We're not far from requiring a degree in geology to fill potholes.

Metamega and Nobert like this.
  4. Nobert

Nobert

Amen.

The good old education system...

Had 3 / 10 in math. Spends all day looking at numbers.
    (my 2 weeks of summer ,,holidays'' = 1300 balance sheets)
    Had 3 / 10 in arts. Spends 400 / 300 hours per single drawing.
    Had 3 / 10 in fitness. +2 millions reps since 2006.
    Never read a single book in school. Reads 161 about psychology, leadership and business, in the last 4 years.

Pushing the narrative of books for $2000 - slowly but surely, doesn't work anymore and positive changes are seen, since less and less students applies for that madness.
    (decreasing numbers of fresh students in my country)

Big tech is disrupting this business as well, by making their own ,, universities ''.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  5. gaussian

gaussian

Everything about this post is hilarious and wrong. It's very clear you've never read a single book in school.

I've spent basically my entire adult life in math and computer science. If you think staring at balance sheets is equivalent to the abstract level of thinking required for advanced mathematics I have a bridge to sell you. Moreover my degree paid for itself three times over two years after I left school. Show me a single career trajectory for a 99 IQ high school kid with that type of growth.

Then you cap the entire post off by linking to a guy who thinks a piece of paper from Google or Apple is anything more than another for-profit incantation to diversify their portfolios. Almost like neither you, nor this charlatan you linked, understand the purpose of unversity.

If you want to argue the price I agree university is expensive. However, arguing it's useless is both misunderstanding the model of a university (to improve your ability to think critically and expand your knowledge on many subjects) and the purpose of the university (to teach general problem solving and thinking skills applicable to many fields). Some colleges, in particular the social sciences and arts, don't teach useful paradigms applicable to many fields (for example critical thinking) but to think an entire university is useless is just ignorance taken to an art form.

School is too expensive. However even someone with an associates degree possesses higher mental faculties than your average high school graduate. The IQ and income charts have shown this year over year since time immemorial. There is a positive correlation with people who can complete a 4 year degree (irrespective of cost) and total IQ and life earnings. This isn't by accident.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Bugenhagen and piezoe like this.
  6. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

College for some works, especially if STEM.

However, there is no reason an undergraduate degree should take 4 years. Lots of fluff.

The University System in the US is broken. What's up with remedial college classes? Also can do most stuff online. If you can't do teach. Never more true than today.

You only really need a degree if you are going to work for someone else. Anyone who is anybody creates their own company.

In some European countries they have a different system. They really put the pressure on in high school, especially in science and math. Liking finishing Cal 202 and Physics in high school. Because of this preparation most finish their undergraduate degree in 3 years. Part of the system that helps this work is that only 15-20 different degrees are offered.

Nobert likes this.
  7. BreezeTen

BreezeTen

With increasing popularity of trading, scams would only get common, The best you can do is prevent being the victim by staying conscious and aware.

8. Arnie

Arnie

I think what's even worse is govts requiring a license to earn a living. This is the list of all occupations that require a license in my state. I especially like that wrestlers need a license. What kind of test do you imagine they take. LOL

upload_2020-6-29_12-31-23.png

vanzandt likes this.
  9. One of my favorite show!

Nobert likes this.
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Job training and education are very commonly confused. There are schools that call themselves a college or university (for profit institutions largely fall into this category) that specialize in job training rather than education. Education is broadly applicable in life and determines, in a majority of situations, what paths in life's journey can be traveled, as education opens doors that are otherwise shut. Attending a real college or university specializing in education rather than job training is a waste of time and money for anyone not committed to learning. You don't necessarily need a college degree to do many jobs well, and the lack of a college or university degree won't preclude one's obtaining an education. But college level studies with a good teacher sure make obtaining an education a lot easier. A college education won't guarantee happiness in life. But if anyone says to you, "college is a waste off time," then you will know they are uneducated, regardless of their college degrees, professional certifications, wealth, or station in life. Personally, with rare exception, I wouldn't trust the judgement of someone who said that to me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    #10     Nov 27, 2020
    Same Lazy Element likes this.