The Big One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Deb Trader, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Those charts came from Ameritrade. Yes I use Ameritrade to buy/sell. I know there is better out there. I just haven't learned to use them yet. Ameritrade charges $11 per trade, $22 round trip. However, I use Ameritrade's "Advanced Analyzer" to get daily charts for screening purposes. This is a software that costs $15/mo.

#11     Jan 11, 2003
  2. The broker was Ameritrade. At the risk of sounding ignorant, besides saying the ticker symbols were MEDC & MCTR, I'm not sure how to define the stock beyond that.

- Deb Trader

#12     Jan 11, 2003
  3. Scratch that last post. Just noticed that Babak was asking Omcate, not me. Duh.

#13     Jan 11, 2003
  4. Thanks nkhoi. Yeah, I guess you're right.

But the advisors always tell us to limit our losses and let our winners run. I will never let a winner run if I continue to use those methods, I think.

- Deb Trader

#14     Jan 11, 2003
  5. KavMan

KavMan

Don't feel too bad about missing out on more $$
    I do that everyday :mad:
    Like Thursday I could've earned an extra $1300 but got out of my positions too early
    Friday I could've had an extra $900 but got out to early too
    I get sooo stressed out over this greed I have
    Come to think of it I'm fuming up again right now hahaha :D

I have to realize this is part of trading

#15     Jan 11, 2003
  6. I'm right with ya, Kavman.

#16     Jan 11, 2003
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I get the impression that you're not really listening to what nkhoi is saying. Read his post again. Then again. He's raised issues that you're not addressing.

--Db

#17     Jan 11, 2003
  8. Good recovery, that would have been a classic message board mistake.

#18     Jan 11, 2003
  9. Deb, after reading your post, the thing that I see missing is your price target. Did you set one with your entry point and stop loss? :confused:

#19     Jan 12, 2003
  10. :( ... Note to self: take a deep breath, exhale slowly, remember this is a new year, some things change... some never will.

Ahhh that's better.

Now, Deb... as Ashi said, you did everything right, so nice work.

And what nkhoi is saying is true also, although it is a bit like telling a story, "the people in the village along the craggy slopes of Mt. Vesuvius watched in terror as the great volcano began to erupt, but everyone lived happily ever after." You get the impressin that there might be a bit more to the story that was omitted.

It is important to remember that you will leave money on the table every trade. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

A scenario you might also describe one day is that you tightened your stop on a profitable long position, got hit, and watched the thing tank afterwards. It will all even out.

Or you could take the testing route and determine the average amount of swing that occurs in your chosen time interval and place your stops outside of that.

#20     Jan 12, 2003