The Biden/Palin debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MarketMasher, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Arnie

Arnie

Biden better watch out. She's bringing her posse to this one

[​IMG]

#11     Sep 30, 2008
  2. Normally VP debates don't matter, but Palin needs to not just break-even on this one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080930/ts_alt_afp/usvotepalindebate

The problem with boot camp is that it is like cramming for exams. You may be able to get by in a perfunctory sense, but the depth of understanding isn't really there.

As someone pointed out, actuarially-speaking she has pretty good odds of becoming President because of McCain's age. She's got to prove she can cut it with intellectual depth and sound arguments, not just zingers.

#12     Sep 30, 2008
  3. I agree that her expectations are low and it wont take much to exceed them. I dont know much about biden, but I've heard her interviews and judging by only those here low expectations are justified.

I think it will be uneventful UNLESS Biden sticks it to her. I, for one, think she deserves completely equal treatment. I also think the candidates aren't aggressive enough. They seem to let each other get away with just regurgitating talking points, so far thats all I've seen Palin do.

I hope its a good watch and I hope they go at it, but I doubt they will. If it was me she (and mccain) would be friggin toast. But thats not because I am smart, its because their incompetence is so obvious and exploitable to someone who doesnt mind being completely ruthless (as they shouldnt)

#13     Sep 30, 2008
  4. I don't expect Biden to be overly aggressive. Obama remembers vividly how the "tear" "iron my shirt" and "ganging up on hillary in the debates" crap led to his defeat in the New Hampshire primary. If Biden shows complete contempt for Palin (even if she deserves it) women will flock to her. Biden just needs to be cool and let her implode. No smiles when she fails, no snickering, laughter or other things. Let her implode by herself, be professional.

#14     Sep 30, 2008
  5. If Biden wants to turn this debate into something that could affect undecideds' votes, he should by all means go after Palin hard. He could end up alienating enough women and guys who don't like bullies to elect mcCain.

He's not that dumb, or at least his handlers aren't. He will be gentlemanly but condescending. There will be unending references to his long experience in the Senate, which has the potential to be a two-edged sword. People don't like congress, plus it highlights Obama's lack of experience.

Honestly, I expect both candidates to do pretty well and the debate to amount to nothing. That will be a win for Palin, just because her expectations are so low.

#15     Sep 30, 2008
  6. I can't see her coming off that badly. If she looks like a total dufuss, maybe, but I really haven't seen that. She messed up a question from Couric, but that won't happen again. She is not some suburban mom whom they plucked off the street. She is a governor and has been in elections before. Plus, she is a polished TV performer, which will be as important in a debate as the details of her answers.

I think most voters have made up their minds, and it has nothing to do with the VPs. The remaining presidential debates, what happens with the bailout and markets and any last minute foreign crises will have far more significance to those still-undecided voters.

#16     Sep 30, 2008
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Whether Palin does well in the debate isn't the question or the problem. The question/problem is what happens to the USA if this squeaky little girl became the pre......pres.....presi-(ashoooo!)dent??? (Can't even say it.)

#17     Sep 30, 2008
  8. I don't think he should be condescending. I think that would alienate people. But he should go after her hard. Someone mentioned he should just let her implode. I think he should help her to do so. This is not about being a bully. This is not a dress rehearsal. To the extent that their conduct at the debate may affect voting, it should be all out. This is serious business. Biden should not let his guard down, and he shouldn't let her get away with anything. In fact, it is only in this way that he accords her the full respect of a vice presidental candidate.

#18     Sep 30, 2008
  9. What's he going to go after HER hard about? He's the guy who voted for Iraq, opposed the surge, voted for repeal of Glass-Stengel, voted for the bankruptcy bill. He'd better hope she doesn't go after HIM hard. Joe Biden isn't going to be on anyone's list of great American senators.

While the left spends time complaining McCain's pick of Palin displays poor judgment I find Obama's selection of Biden way more bizarre. On some of Biden's most important votes in the last decade he's voted WITH McCain and contrary to Obama's stated positions. While McCain picked Palin to shore up his base, Obama cynically picked Biden to move away from his base.

#19     Sep 30, 2008
    #20     Sep 30, 2008