The best VPS for automated trading to IB ?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by pstrusi, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Craig66

Craig66

Suggestions?

#11     Jul 17, 2018
  2. pstrusi

pstrusi

Would you suggest some trusty dedicated servers names that I could check ?
    Thanks!
    ( I can google them but I always prefer first listen to direct experiences or reviews )

#12     Jul 17, 2018
  3. I use a service called vpsdime - no idea where the servers are but it's somewhat fast (23 ms to the IB connect node), it's reliable and it's super cheap

#13     Jul 17, 2018
    pstrusi likes this.
  4. Craig66

Craig66

Just for comparison, I get 10ms to IQFeed and 1ms to IB from "Speedy".
    Cancellation acks typically take about 30ms through the IB gateway, though this number can vary wildly during the day, especially at the open.

#14     Jul 17, 2018
    pstrusi likes this.
  5. traider

traider

Why is Speedy so expensive? $60 for a basic config. It costs $20 for something like Digital Ocean.

#15     Jul 28, 2018
    pstrusi likes this.
  6. shatteredx

shatteredx

I used Speedy for a while and would suggest two reasons:

1. Low latency to order matching servers. I got 1ms from Speedy to CME via CQG. Other VPS servers in Chicago that I tested had anywhere from 3 to 20+ms to CME.
    2. Speedy is generous about CPU usage on your VPS. I was never throttled for using 100% CPU for 30 minute stretches occasionally. Other discount VPS services that I have used will throttle your instance hard if you use 100% for more than 5 minutes (!). This requires you to buy twice as much CPU as you actually need with these vendors.

If you don't need 1ms latency then something like Digital Ocean might be fine, of course.

#16     Jul 31, 2018
    pstrusi and Van_der_Voort_4 like this.
  7. kngrail

kngrail

good advice. vps was slow even after 4 cpu, 16 gb ram. I am moving to dedicated server

#17     Aug 26, 2018
  8. traider

traider

how do u know it's slow because of cpu? did your cpu utilization go to 100%?

#18     Aug 26, 2018
  9. kngrail

kngrail

never, but it was much slower. what else could be reason. my wifi bandwidth is v.good

#19     Aug 26, 2018
  10. The best VPS, is no VPS, but if you live off the grid somewhere, I can see the need.

#20     Aug 26, 2018