The best advice for a Prospective Trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by 2manywhiners, Jan 17, 2007.

What's your take?

1. Right?

44 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Wrong?

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. Both?

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. The post was too long, so I didn't actually read it.

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. RL8093

RL8093

It's such a strange fact that the only people who are capable of hearing true, accurate advice concerning trading as a career are the ones who have already made it through the massive learning curves and the depths of soul searching, etc - aka: the ones who don't need the advice.

The people who need it most just can't hear it .... :confused: That guy's retirement money is a goner unless he wakes up ....

#31     Apr 13, 2007
  2. Tell'em to give you a call when they're down 20%.

Maybe then they'll be much more willing to listen to reason.

JJ

#32     Apr 14, 2007
  3. #33     Apr 14, 2007
  4. jtnet

jtnet

1. Open Etrade account
    2. listen to cramer
    3. ...
    4. PROFIT ! 75% returns

#34     Apr 14, 2007
  5. Some of the best traders I know don't watch CNBC, nor do they "need" it at all... except for the financial news clips. CNBC is for the masses, the typical sheep who think it's instant access to wall street.

I've actually heard a poor naive joe sixpack say he's on a level playing field with the pros cause he has internet access and CNBC turned on all day.

I felt like crying.

#35     Apr 14, 2007
  6. Eventhough I don't watch CNBC, I know many great traders that do watch CNBC, or has there eyes on it with the volume turned down.

Then there are those losers who think they are better than others, because they don't watch CNBC. :cool:

To be able to interact with the trading masses, I noticed that I need to dumb-down. Maybe that was the case there, someone trying to start a trading convesation with another sixpack. But, aside from that, if you are a good trader.. all you need is a good internet connection and the CNBC would only be a bonus.

#36     Apr 14, 2007
  7. Television only came about within the last ~50yrs.

Some of the greatest traders/operators who ever lived never needed something like CNBC.

I will never be convinced that one needs CNBC to trade well, not one minute of it.

#37     Apr 14, 2007
  8. The best advice for a Prospective Trader=

Remain "prospective"

#38     Apr 14, 2007
  9. Beebers

Beebers

Tell them to make a business plan which includes an exit strategy. Since they might not follow that plan when an exit is called for (as they might be addicted to trading at that point) - then at least they will be aware of it.

#39     Apr 14, 2007
  10. Question: Do you plan on remaining in contact with these guys? (it didn't seem like it was too close of a relationship)

If so, would you be willing to provide some guidance (understandable if you say hell no), or do you want to do the wise thing and just totally wash your hands of this disaster in the making?

JJ

#40     Apr 14, 2007