The benefits of living in Florida?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tsing Tao, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

I haven't lived there but I've been there several times.
    It's probably one of the last places I'd want to live.

#11     Jul 12, 2011
  2. Pros:

When you first move to Florida, you'll be "living on vacation".
    Beaches, babes, bars, royal palm tree lined boulevards, etc. You just can't beat it. It's the top of the world. I know you said you're married, but if you don't go see the hot body contests on the beaches at spring break, you may as well just jump in your coffin now. Seeing it in person is no comparion to television.

No income tax as you say. Many companies do pay otherwise lower wages because of it. "You get paid in sunshine" is the excuse. Seasoned professionals though, as it sounds like you are, usually get a fair wage. It's the college grads who can't make a buck. Unemployment is hyper at the present time.

During the boom, Florida was #2 in the nation. Today in foreclosures and property value decline, Florida is #2 in the nation. As someone already said, this is to your benefit. It's your market. Find 10 homes you like and offer them half the asking price one by one; someone will accept your offer. I've seen waterfront estates with $1.5MM notes sell for $200k. Have your own attorney at closing and avoid Rocket Docket properties. If you don't know what Rocket Docket is, you'll soon find out.

Boating year around and beautiful waters. When you get out onto uninhabited islands, you'll see it's nicer than the Carribbean. For real. You have to do it.

Fishing - best in the world. The west coast around Tampa has plenty of tarpon, grouper, etc. But to catch Marlin, go to Deerfield Beach. Cheap motels in a clean town. Mahi & Sailfish one mile off Boca Inlet and Marlin 5 miles out. Tons of live bait right there in the inlet. Guaranteed awesome time.

Low Energy Costs: Historically electricity in FL is about the cheapest in the nation. It requires less energy input to make steam from 90 degree water at our power plants than it does to make steam from 40 degree water at Ballmer power plants. Tampa has great water; don't know their rates.

Cons:

Rick Scott is Governor. If you don't know who he is, you sure will soon. There is great public distrust because of his history and his "bull in a china shop" behavior since recently taking office.

Skin Cancer - While temps & humidity are the same or lower than Ballmer, the sun is very direct. Put lots of sunscreen on that kid, your wife, your self.

Public Corruption - good old southern corruption. Lots of it. Not sure what business you're in. Hopefully you'll have nothing to do with units of government.

Visitors - once your friends and family find out you have a nice place in a nice place, they'll be around more than you want them around. You end up being a full time tour guide/ travel agent regularly.

Summary:
    Ten years from now you'll look back and be glad you made the move. Have fun!

#12     Jul 12, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

I agree. I rather live in Detroit then the Keys.

#13     Jul 12, 2011
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Awesome summary! Thanks!

#14     Jul 12, 2011
  5. fhl

fhl

It's just a great big tradeoff.

Florida has great weather five months out of the year and the beaches. Everything else is better back where you came from. Wherever you came from.

Are the winter weather and beaches worth it to downgrade everything else. That's your decision.

#15     Jul 12, 2011

6. what are you talking about the weather is great year round..perhaps a bit hot and humid in august..but i love the 90's

#16     Jul 12, 2011
  7. EPrado

EPrado

You forgot the snowbirds who invade every winter. Very dangerous creatures down here. They slow down traffic to a crawl on local roads....cause restaurants to run out of food by 5:15 p.m........are known to congregate at Dunkin Donuts late at night to plan their next attack.

I have been down here since 2005......it's scary man.

#17     Jul 13, 2011
  8. EPrado

EPrado

#18     Jul 13, 2011
  9. EPrado

EPrado

You have obviously never been to Cheetah's in West Palm Beach.

Hottest chicks....no rules.

Can be bad I guess...........

#19     Jul 13, 2011
  10. EPrado

EPrado

I came down here from Chicago in 2005. Am with rest of the obnoxious east coasters in Southeast Fl. Chicago is still my favorite city hands down. The winters sucked up there, but that was offset by the huge population of Sports bars. Nothing beats going into a sports bar in November packed with Notre Dame fans ....drinking beers....and watching Notre Dame get killed. Outside of Mav, the people up there are the best.

As far as Florida. It is what it is. Weather is great....very relaxed atmosphere. It does feel like you are on vacation all the time. Not a lot of trading firms left down here, but if you find the right situation, is a great place to trade from. There is something to be said about getting your clocked cleaned trading and going outside to 80 and sunny to regroup.

As far as the bad things...everything posted on this thread is basically true. Politicians/lawmakers are beyond corrupt and out of their minds. The economy/job mkt here is horrendous. Real estate prices are plummeting.

If you have a job and are being transferred down here or trade for yourself/remotely for a firm, it's a great place.

#20     Jul 13, 2011