The benefits of living in Florida?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tsing Tao, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Other than no state tax (which is an awesome benefit), can folks who live there already provide some pluses?

I am relocating from Baltimore to Tampa. Fortunately the company is getting rid of the office here and transferring those still needed to the office in Florida. Bye bye, liberal weeny tax state Maryland. Hello, tax haven Florida!

2. tango29

tango29

Fantastically high heat and humidity, hurricanes, a really big failed real estate market(although good for buying a great house in your case most likely).
    Forgive me Floridians, but it's great where I live. We currently have heat and humidity, quite a few tornadoes this year, and I have 2 foreclosed houses across the street and down a couple house from me currently. Oh yea, we have high taxes. So, take that! :D

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

High heat and humidity is prevalent here in Baltimore (today it's supposed to hit 100), so that's a non-issue. Buying a house will be excellent, as I've looked and I can get a very nice house there for $500k (what I'm looking to spend) in comparison to my Baltimore residence.

Alligators are a downside - father said "make sure you buy away from water", but in a place where the whole state is only 10 feet above sea level, that isn't easy.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I lived in FL for 3 years and know the state well. You will love Tampa. The gulf side of FL is primarily mid westerners. The Atlantic side are the obnoxious east coasters. The Tampa area is very nice.

I should also point out that Tampa has by far the best strip clubs on the face of the planet. Aside from that, good family area too. LOL.

Ybor City is nice. Kind of like the French quarter of New Orleans.

I honestly think Tampa is by far the best city to live in if one wants to live in FL. The bay is beautiful.

5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Thanks for the input! In my younger years, the strip club thing would have drawn me. Now that I have a wife and 3 year old, I have to refuse those types of things :)

But just so I know what I'm missing, what makes them the best on the planet?

6. I've got a condo on the obnoxious east coast. The market for sales is poor but the rental market is strong. I've got my condo rented out for the Dec-March period already and my agent says nice rentals are getting snapped up at asking price.

IMO-this might be a good time to buy some of the distressed properties, rent them out to cover costs and wait for the rebound.

Seneca

7. Tampa is not too far off from Sarasota which is really beautiful.
    More of the arts there. The city is so clean and its still on that beautiful gulf.
    USF also located in Tampa and Sarasota both nice cities. I have family in that area and go often. Thee is a nice little area in Bradenton called Villiage of the arts. A restoration to that area that is really neat.
    You wil get your redneck areas no matter where you are. They are the locals and most them real polite folks.

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Never had any issues with rednecks. They are honest people, in my experience.

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Girls come from all over the country to work there. And all over the state. I knew girls getting their MBA at University of Miami that would take classes Mon-Wed and stay in Tampa from Thur to Sun working there. The best strip club in the world is Mons Venus. The parking lot there looks like a European Luxury car dealership.

But don't worry, all the clubs are in the same area. Most of Tampa is really nice and very family friendly. And they have 3 professional sports teams!

10. Anyone living and trading from the Keys? Is real estate depressed in the Keys too? What's "Key living" like is it a pain in the ass or paradise?

#10     Jul 12, 2011