The Beginning of the End of Oil Fueled Vehicles

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, May 25, 2008.

1. Hello all! The internal combustion engine was originally designed to run on pulverized coal, believe it or not! Now as far as Li-ion batteries are concerned, the price is dropping dramatically and the standard size of these beeeutiful wonders growing.

As far as a consumer oriented vehicle, Tesla motors has some kind of plans to build a 4 door sedan for around 50K and a compact for about half that price, that is if the two principles of the company can stop fighting long enough to get these things into production.

Now my understanding is that the range will be slightly higher than the roadster because the power level will not be as rubber ripping as the roadster.

Now guess who owns the most powerful Li-ion batteries in the world? I will give you a hint, I wonder how fast and how much memory the computers in the first F 117 had? And the consumer got them when???

Oh and please don't tell "SouthAmerica", he still thinks Biofuels are the answer to the worlds energy needs.

The Ever Interested VIPER

#21     Jun 9, 2008
  2. EV's really make sense if you have some beefy solar panels on your home. Sell electricity to the utility at peak prices during the day, and then charge up at night at lower prices. Of course, you have the huge up front costs for the panels. But if ya keep the home long enough, it equals very cheap and non polluting driving.

Toss in a small combustion engine for the AC as previously noted, and you are set.

Or drive a motorcycle!

#22     Jun 10, 2008
  3. it sure seems that way, but its not.

all those millions of jobs over the last 80 years, as garage mechanics,

auto mechanics,

mechanic schools,

etc....

its served it purpose and need retirement because in its old age, as an industry, its like everything else, more maintenance to keep the standard of living going than its worth....

#23     Jun 10, 2008