The bankruptcy of the United States is now certain

Discussion in 'Economics' started by observer67, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Sure, but the article assumes one can never cut spending, or raise receipts, no? Or did I read something wrong.

#11     Nov 30, 2009
  2. 1000

90% tax to look forward to.

Also there is the running out of oil, sooner than you think. REMEMBER MY PREDICTION OF THE RECESION SOONER THAN YOU THINK!

How is the US government going to continue to down-play the oil reserve issue, and this time they will not be able to control any panic buying.

May be it should send the Dow down to 2000, since those in power still didn't get the point. (Here is the Dow 2000 prediction, may be in real/relative terms it is already at 2000).

What did one Senator say on TV at the time the stimulus package got voted down last year, quote "the value of the Dow does not have anything to do with the state of the economy," or words to that effect!

MAY BE HE WAS RIGHT, MAY BE HE WAS WRONG. But at the time he showed himself up to be quite out of touch with reality.

I KNOW.

The government needs to create a situation in order for the 90% tax to be voted in, and so legitimize it i.e. LET THE OIL RUN OUT AND CLAIM IT COSTS TOO MUCH TO FIND MORE OR REPLACE IT, AND IN THE MEAN TIME THE PUMP PRICES CAN CONTINUE TO BE INCREASED RESULTING IN GREATER TAX RECEIPTS, and if that's not enough then keep doing stimulus packages to keep the rich wealthy.

That is probably why they do not care about the melting of the Arctic Ice cap, Global warming, and the immenent collapse of the North Atlantic converyor belt which is going to send Northern Europe back into the Ice Age.

Indeed, I am surprised that the Labor government in the UK gave the go-ahead for another run-a-way to be built at Heathrow, yet it would be impossible to satisfy the green house gas emissions target. (THAT'S BIG GOVERNMENT FOR YOU). Well guess what, it is the UK that's going to be in the Ice Age when the North Atlantic converyor belt collapses.

Yeah, go ahead and shoot the messenger.

My message to China and India, continue to buy oil while it is cheap, because that is what everyone else is doing. BUY LOW SELL HIGH.

And the dollar is dead until we find a new energy form, as oil is self-limiting. Even if more reserves of oil are found, they are only going to get used up.

#12     Nov 30, 2009
  3. promagma

promagma

Seriously .... the CDS indicate US debt is nearly the safest in the world. The rates also were correct that Dubai was among the riskiest. The bond market is still going strong. Many nations have more government debt as a percentage of GDP.

#13     Nov 30, 2009
  4. Lethn

Lethn

Am I the only one seriously hoping that the U.S will just go bankrupt just so I don't have to see the suffering anymore?

Seriously whatever the Federal Reserve and the U.S government are cooking up is going to be a 'trillion' ( lol at debt ) times worse than simply going bankrupt and accepting their fucking mistakes.

#14     Nov 30, 2009
  5. As for your last paragraph, I believe you are seriously correct. Unfortunately.:mad:USMC can't even being to compete with Congress when it comes to destroying things.

#15     Nov 30, 2009
  6. GTS

GTS

Who is selling CDS on US debt and what level of confidence do you have that they will actually be able to pay if the US defaults on its debts?

#16     Nov 30, 2009
  7. Why? collecting blind opinions from the anonymous is a huge waste of time.

#17     Nov 30, 2009
  8. with a couple of country invasions and subsequent asset confiscations, the USD will have a confidence boost.

most analysts fail to understand that the real value of the USD is pegged to the nation's military presence and dominance across the world. there is nothing no one can do to attack the USD let alone the USA. the USA is using foreign money to finance its military which in turn use its overwhelming force to kill, destroy, overthrow, acquire and confiscate those same countries that lent the money in the first place.

money is debt and debt is money and as long as the USA is sole world super power the USD will keep its role as a super currency held as reserve and safe haven every where, independently from how ridiculous high the debt/gdp figures would look like. dont forget the USA has an infinite supply of USD and he who fucks with the USA is eliminated quite effectively.

#18     Nov 30, 2009
  9. When empires have only their militairy strength to account for their empire status the gig is pretty much up really.

At least that's what history shows us.

Doesnt mean the USD can't be the reserve currency for another 50 years ofcourse.

:)

#19     Nov 30, 2009
  10. promagma

promagma

If you have Bloomberg you can see the CDS markets. CDS on sovereign debt is booming since 2008 and almost a $1 trillion market. I see your point, who is going to pay, but in relative terms these contracts are not going to be tragically mispriced.

#20     Nov 30, 2009