The attempted ban on football is coming

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wildchild, Aug 6, 2012.

1. wildchild

wildchild

So if you make a lot of money, the government leaves you alone? It is quite the opposite my friend.

#31     Aug 7, 2012
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It's only the opposite if the Government thinks it doesn't have a hand in your money. In this case, that is not true.

I'll make you any bet you want that football will be around in it's present form for at LEAST another decade.

#32     Aug 7, 2012
  3. It's ALREADY happening. Like I said in the post, Goodell is completely changing the game of football with the rule changes. The "helmet to helmet" is a completely subjective call in many instances...the continued efforts to protect the QB have basically made it impossible to make a clean hit without drawing a roughing the passer penalty. The attempts to curtail the injuries on kickoff returns, etc, etc...

He's just getting started. The media will continue to print stories about long term repurcussions of the game and Goodell and his crew will tweak away at the sport. Eventually, the same pressure will be applied to the NCAA and the game will be a watered down version of what it once was.

I think that you are trying to be obtuse in this insance.

#33     Aug 7, 2012
  4. The NFL isn't even the same as it was 2 years ago. This is a bet that you are not going to win.

#34     Aug 7, 2012
  5. wildchild

wildchild

Who is the most protected player on the football field?

#35     Aug 7, 2012
  6. i think you're right but Denner has a point. Goodell has already succeeded in ruining certain aspects of the game.. like kickoffs. That doesn't mean that illegal hits should be tolerated, when a dirty bastard like Rodney harrison gets suspended, he deserves it. But there is no holding back in football, if any of you guys played organized football then you know that. It is a violent sport and thats why people like it, and that's why people play it.. now it is being ruined. Evidence, last year not one not two but three QB's broke Marino's long standing passing record. Is it because we are in a new era of awesome QB's or because defense is at an increasing disadvantage? I think the latter, defense is an aspect of the game that real fans appreciate, one of my favorite positions to watch is safety, unfortunately with the new rules in place they are living up to that name. :(

The rules can't be changed without ruining the integrity of the game. I think of the changing situation in the NFL as a microcosm of the whole nation, and both are headed for ruin.

#36     Aug 7, 2012
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

And I think you (and wildchild) are being far too dramatic. The moment the $$ are significantly affected, all changes (regardless of how minor) will cease.

#37     Aug 7, 2012
  8. wildchild

wildchild

What position is the most protected?

#38     Aug 7, 2012
  9. wildchild

wildchild

The attack is not stopping. These people are totally serious. When leftwingers start driving on something like this, they are like herpes, and they never go away. It looks like this is another topic that I am way ahead of the curve on.

http://humanitariannews.org/20160206/should-we-feel-guilty-watching-super-bowl-0

Should football be banned? It’s been nearly two years since the National Football League admitted in federal court that nearly one-third of NFL players go on to develop cognitive problems. Back in 1905, President Teddy Roosevelt threatened to ban football completely, unless the sport shaped up and outlawed moves like throttling and eye-gouging. The New York Times itself had already suggested, decades earlier, that maybe the secret to safer football would be to go after the money — if people couldn’t charge other people to watch football, or pay them to play it, maybe games wouldn’t devolve into “great public jousts and massacres.” That said, driving a car isn’t a great public health move either, and we don’t see anyone banning that. - See more at: http://humanitariannews.org/2016020...ty-watching-super-bowl-0#sthash.8EtpBkzs.dpuf

#39     Feb 6, 2016
  10. No one is being forced to play, but name another industry in which a significant percentage of workers are left with permanent brain damage?

I believe many if not most concussions are caused by ground impact. That suggests that developing softer playing surfaces might help. Maybe we will have to go to much larger helmets filled with gel. Or maybe smaller or no helmets at all. Are concussions an issue in rugby?

Under the inept leadership of Goodell, the league has been slow to respond to this, that is for sure. They badly need a new commissioner and a new approach.

#40     Feb 6, 2016