The atlantic on a sailing boat

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TraDaToR, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

Nice. I have backpacked many national parks over the last 12-13 years. I'd like to do Mt. Whitney soon.

#11     Sep 29, 2009
  2. FGBL07

FGBL07

Hi,

I made that trip more than 25 years ago, though on a charter boat with a lot more people.

14m is quite a lot of boat for two people. Essentially you will be sailing single-handedly: one of you will be sleeping, cooking or doing the navigation.

You sure have an auto-pilot? Better carry along one or two spare ones.

Most likely the wind will be from behind most of the time, sailing with a spinnaker or two genuas winged out needs some training.

We had some bad weather and in this weather the radar proved to be really useful: we could see the windy clouds coming from behind and avoid them.

Have a great trip

#12     Sep 29, 2009
  3. You know what I would do....before your trip print out hundreds of days of the 5min, 1min, daily chart and maybe the 30 and 60 min charts too and go over each day, overlapping frames. If you have the time, you'll get seriously familiar with how the mkts move.

#13     Sep 29, 2009
  4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Acronym, thanks for the link.I will read it when I have time.

FGBL, nice to hear from someone who already did it. Good advice for the extra autopilot, we only have one.
    Per the sails, we have only one genua and too spis( one regular and one asymetric ). I have never navigated alone on spi, I think the two of us must be around to do it.
    I know we have a "radar" now but I don't know if we can see clouds on it, I suspect it is not the kind of radar you are talking about. I may ask my father.

Thank you all.

#14     Sep 29, 2009
  5. Vista

Vista

The Oct issue of Coastal Living has an article about this 17 yr old that recently did a solo trip around the world in 13 months, 3 days.

You can check out his trip at http://zacsunderland.com/

#15     Sep 30, 2009
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Thanks Vista,

I already followed a bit of his trip when he was near the end, also followed the young brit that crossed the atlantic alone at 14 or so... both really impressive.

#16     Sep 30, 2009