THE ARBITRAGE AND SPREAD TRADING THREAD

Discussion in 'Trading' started by candletrader, Feb 21, 2003.

1. quote from nyse_trader:
    Sure it does trend but not like the es/nq spread.

I've also experimented with a "spread" strategy that included more hedging than anything. After all if I buy dow stocks and sell dow futures, am I spreading, hedging or arbitraging?

Hmm. The separation lines are not so clear.

#31     Feb 25, 2003
  2. A hedge usually means that you want to get neutral in order to be protected and stay in a trade that may go against you. Spread, or Pair trading is known as statistical arbitrage and uses various methods such as capital distribution, scalping, etc. Merger trading is known as risk arbitrage and its capital and exit strategies are different as well. Pure arb is used by bigger entities than us who trade the underlying securities against the derivitives, such as index arb.

#32     Feb 25, 2003
  3. I've traded pairs (NYSE/DJIA stocks) for over 10 months quite profitably. Key is knowing which stocks to 'pair' against each other, entry points, profit targets, historical relationship, access to enough capital for 'mid-term' (1 - 10 days) 'carry', and the discipline to 'let it happen'. It's been very good to me.

#33     Feb 25, 2003
  4. A good example of this phenomenon was today 2/25/2003...

#34     Feb 25, 2003
  5. es/nq are too different for good pair trading... better to trade tech stocks against nq

#35     Feb 25, 2003
  6. quote from howellpar:
    Yes and for that I prefer to trade index vs index. Keeping it simple!

Who wants to stay up all night looking for pairs that have correlations that may or may not be reliable in the near future?

#36     Feb 25, 2003
  7. Given my preference for spread convergence type trades, I would concur... however, that is not to say that one cant trend trade the ES/NQ spread, benefitting from the leg protection not afforded to a strategy that only trades the outright...

#37     Feb 25, 2003
  8. Spreadem:

You are absolutely right. But, I just couldn't get the index's (sp?) to trade as well as the NYSE stocks I use. Not enough movement within my time frames.

Thanks for the advice.

#38     Feb 25, 2003
  9. I've looked at trend trading pairs, but haven't been able to get out of a facilitating/contrarian mindset. I must be getting old.

#39     Feb 25, 2003
  10. Nothing wrong with being a facilitator... you are in good company with the market makers :D

#40     Feb 25, 2003