The Anti-Capitalistic Inquisition

Discussion in 'Economics' started by PoundTheRock, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Cheese

Cheese

You need to be reminded of your own history and grievances which colors what you argue. The fact is you couldn't get your own snout into a big enough trough.

Have a nice day, Thunderdog.
    :)

#61     Sep 26, 2005
  2. That statement says a lot about who you are. Please don't project your own standards onto me. While I would certainly like to be rich, I would not cheat and steal to get there. Thank you for letting us know where you stand on that matter.

#62     Sep 26, 2005
  3. I hate to say it, but I'd probably do the same if I was in Milken's position.

Actually, no. I'd have retired after the first 5-10MM. This dude gets a half billion dollar bonus and still tortures himself. The marginal cost of social status is staggering!

#63     Sep 26, 2005
  4. Well Cheese, it's you, me, and Milton Friedman against the hoi polloi on this one.

#64     Sep 26, 2005
  5. Three men and the truth are a majority kinda thing ... :)

(Reminds me of darkhorse...)

#65     Sep 26, 2005
  6. U.S. Companies Lag in Responsibility, Accountability - Study

U.S. companies remain less accountable than European and Asian ones despite recent years' damaging revelations of management chicanery involving finances, labor relations, environmental performance, and consumer protection, a global survey said Friday.

The findings, to be published in the Oct. 3 international editions of Fortune magazine, came on the heels of fresh demands by international pressure groups for legally binding global social and environmental standards to help stop what they termed corporate abuses.

Energy major BP topped the 2005 Accountability Rating of companies on Fortune's list of the 100 largest global firms.

Competitor Royal Dutch Shell Group came in second, followed by telecom provider Vodafone (No. 3); banking major HSBC Holdings (No. 4); retailer Carrefour (No. 5); Ford Motor (No. 6); Tokyo Electric Power (No. 7); Electricite de France (No. 8); car maker Peugeot (No. 9); and Chevron (No. 10).

''The rating shows which companies recognize that implementing accountable management and addressing social and environmental issues today will build business value tomorrow,'' Zadek said.

........By contrast, U.S. corporations scored an average of 24 points--an improvement over last year's rating of 16 but still behind the Europeans and even Asian competitors, which scored an average of 28 points.

''U.S. corporations generally score poorly on stakeholder engagement, non-financial reporting, and third-party assurance'' or independent reviews, the study said. ''They are also far less likely than European counterparts to comply with internationally recognized labor, human rights, and environmental standards.''

----------

I wonder where Haliburton is ranked.

#66     Sep 26, 2005
  7. Samsung Pleads Guilty in Price-Fixing Case

Samsung, the world's largest maker of computer memory chips, pleaded guilty Wednesday to a charge it participated in a worldwide price-fixing conspiracy that damaged competition and raised PC prices.

--------

I thought Adam Smith's invisible hand or animal spirits of the market set prices ? In economics, one of the main conditions that must agreed before examining anything is the notion to "hold everything else constant" or what I like to call "lets suspend reality." In their world, prices are soley that of the funtion of supply and demand. In the real world, its just not like that.

#67     Dec 1, 2005
  8. This guy is really innocent.....
    [​IMG]
    I want to hire Ivan Boesky as Santa Claus for this year's corporate party, I wonder if he accepts it as a jew?

#68     Dec 6, 2005
  9. I think it was Bismarck who once said: everyone can be bought, only the price differs.

#69     Dec 7, 2005