The Anti-Capitalistic Inquisition

Discussion in 'Economics' started by PoundTheRock, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Oh yeah, and we believe the government -- especially ambitious politicians like Guiliani and Spitzer. If you don't think big money is a target for political shakedowns, then you're hopelessly naive.

#21     Aug 18, 2005
  2. FDA

9. What did FDA know about the risk of heart attack and stroke when it approved Vioxx?

FDA originally approved Vioxx in May 1999. The original safety database included approximately 5000 patients on Vioxx and did not show an increased risk of heart attack or stroke. A later study, VIGOR (VIOXX GI Outcomes Research), was primarily designed to look at the effects of Vioxx on side effects such as stomach ulcers and bleeding and was submitted to the FDA in June 2000. The study showed that patients taking Vioxx had fewer stomach ulcers and bleeding than patients taking naproxen, another NSAID, however, the study also showed a greater number of heart attacks in patients taking Vioxx. The VIGOR study was discussed at a February 2001 Arthritis Advisory Committee and the new safety information from this study was added to the labeling for Vioxx in April 2002. Merck then began to conduct longer-term trials to obtain more data on the risk for heart attack and stroke with chronic use of Vioxx.

10. Is FDA’s expedited review process putting riskier drugs on the market?

No. Vioxx received a six-month priority review because the drug potentially provided a significant therapeutic advantage over existing approved drugs due to fewer gastrointestinal side effects, including bleeding. A product undergoing a priority review is held to the same rigorous standards for safety, efficacy, and quality that FDA expects from all drugs submitted for approval.

----------

So initially it was safe but obviously there should've been more tests/studies done to make sure it was totally safe for medical use.

I recall something in the late 90's concerning the FDA rushing drugs to market because some companies moaned how long and costly it takes to get through all the phases for something to get approved. I'll be back if I find something.

#22     Aug 18, 2005
  3. Holmes

Holmes

How true....

My neighbour lived in the Philippines for a number of years and he was fond of an expression he picked up there: "Show me your friends and I know who you are..."

Having said this, I do not know enough about this case to have an opinion if he was guilty or not. However I do believe that there is too much "big brother is watching you" (George Orwell 1984) going on. Enough said.

Sherlock
    :cool:

#23     Aug 18, 2005
  4. Holmes

Holmes

Howard Hughes and the movie "The Aviator" is a good example of this.

Sherlock

#24     Aug 19, 2005
  5. I dunno who here watches "The Wire" but this one quote by Sobatka in the 24th episode of the second season really stuck in my mind. Not too exact but it goes "This country used to be about making sh*t & bulding sh*t. Now it's just about reaching into the next guy's pocket". I think that hits very close to home when it comes to where USA government & corporations are headed. Everyone is either skimming/stealing, using justice for personal ambition or trying to cover their own a$$ & shift the blame while the country is slowly sinking under its own filth.

#25     Aug 19, 2005
  6. Holmes

Holmes

I like John F Kennedy's expression: "Don't ask what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".

The thing that I have noted is that there is no "team effort" any longer. This was also the downfall of the Roman empire (together with a liberal attitude. "But this time it is different" yeah we heard that before, LOL)

Sherlock

#26     Aug 19, 2005
  7. Forgive me, but then I think you may have read a copy of the book that was written in a parallel universe.

#27     Aug 19, 2005
  8. You must fancy yourself as a cigar-chomping "ubercapitalist," don't do? Why else would you defend someone who has, by all objective accounts, swindled his way to riches. That kind of ubercapitalism is presently most popular in the former Soviet Bloc countries. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable and free there.

P.S. If you are at all familiar with Mr. Milken's personality before he was incarcerated, then you would know that a master-of-the-universe type like him would never pay the kind of "fine" that he paid and willingly accept jail time if he were innocent. Never. The fact is, he knew a good trade when he saw one. You should credit him for that. And if you believe otherwise, then you are no stranger to naivete yourself.

#28     Aug 19, 2005
  9. markets or black markets ... they're still markets.

#29     Aug 19, 2005
  10. Holmes

Holmes

..... and trading is the oldest profession. :D :D :D

you want what? well that will cost you one rabbit (or whatever what was the going rate in those days) .....

Sherlock

#30     Aug 19, 2005