The AMEX FRO (Fixed Return Options) Thread

Discussion in 'Options' started by rickf, May 8, 2008.

1. Please do, spreads on what one would assume would be liquid (QQQQ, DIA) are not exactly tight..

#31     May 11, 2008
  2. I wonder if there is a merit to use both FRO and vanilla for a dispersion trade.
    Long basket’s calls and buy FL atm FRO’s (on index)

#32     May 11, 2008
  3. I'd imagine the edge loss and lacking volume wouldn't support a profitable dispersion trade.

#33     May 11, 2008
  4. Amused that some think that 'binary' means 'gambling', as if everything else wasn't.

Nothing binary about a horse race either. (Unless you think win or lose means binary). Guess that's not gambling.

#34     May 12, 2008
  5. magicz

magicz

IMO I prefer better odds then binary.

#35     May 12, 2008
  6. What does that even mean? Whether it's binary or not has nothing to do with your odds.

#36     May 12, 2008
  7. Actually, it's identical to payouts on horseracing or any limited-risk odds-based binary outcome and flow impacts odds in racing and volatility in option-markets. Wagers impact odds just as in any volatility market, or any market for that matter. The zero-sum parimutuel pool is a good analogy to the payout in binary options.

#37     May 12, 2008
  8. My head hurts.

#38     May 12, 2008
  9. no

#39     May 12, 2008
  10. It's a zero sum analogy taking into account fixed odds. I realize that there are typically only two counterparties to an exotic option transaction [parimutuel comment]. It's an analogy to something underwritten/offered to >1 investor or the payoff on the OI of an individual listed contract. The payout-analogy sticks on any fixed-odds exotic. The parimutuel analogy is a bit stretched.

#40     May 12, 2008