The American Dream Built on Debt, Living in Beverly Hills

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wildfirepow, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Does that include debt (1) you'll never be able to repay, and/or (2) debt you never INTENDED to repay?

#11     Sep 8, 2009
  2. All I know is the country is slowly withering away, one industry at a time. Thanks to the greed, extravagance, stupidity & calousness of many, future generations will grow up without much of a future in the US.

#12     Sep 8, 2009
  3. Picture the Soviet Union before the collapse... where nearly ALL of the GDP went to military expense to fight the cold war with the USA.... and 90% of the population stood in line for their ration of potatoes and toilet paper..

We're not "spending everything" on military, but we're still barreling down that path of "government consumes everything... people have little-to-nothing".... Obama is ACCELERATING our demise... :mad: :mad:

#13     Sep 8, 2009
  4. jjf

jjf

You mean "middle class" demise.

Wall Street has now become America, Main Street is no longer important.

jjf

#14     Sep 8, 2009
  5. i recall when the Schuykill Expressway was built, sometime in the early 50's. It became inadequate and outmoded shortly
    afterwards. During this period Pres. Eisenhower decided that we
    would become a society of highways and auto's.
    The why of that has been written about extensively...something about his service during WW! when he saw how the highways in France helped to move armies and aided in its defence...i think.
    We also then became the biggest energy consuming country
    in the world and dependent on the kindness of our oil producing
    friends.
    Unless we develop our railroads and other means of public transportation your co mutes will continue to get longer(I'm retired)
    and more costly in time and money:(
    cheers
    john

#15     Sep 8, 2009
  6. Main Street not important (financially) is true. As far as "the rich get richer", not really.... not most, anyway.

The poor had nothing, still do.

The middle class has been severely "trimmed".... many now have virtually nothing.

The rich are paying all of the bills and will continue to do so. Most of those currently thought of a "rich" will be POOR by the time Obama gets through implementing his delusional, narcissistic, pathological bilge.

#16     Sep 8, 2009
  7. Since the oil embargo of the '70s, periodically politicos have stated "we need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil"... all LIP SERVICE.

35-40 years ago, we as a country could have legislated that cars get "much more MPG"... and weigh no more than 2500 (or 2000) pounds. We'd be getting 40 mpg on average now... maybe more. (Remember the VW Beetle? Weighed in at <2200 pounds, if I recall... wasn't that great on gas considering the low weight. But if we were using the "Bug" model and with current technology, our entire fleet of cars might have been getting Prius MPG numbers for DECADES already.)

Could have been done... wasn't.

#17     Sep 8, 2009
  8. George Bush said get out there and spend, after 911, we can't let the enemy win, that’s what he said. So Americans being the patriotic bunch we are, did as we were told.

#18     Sep 8, 2009
  9. I don't mean to be offensive, just to point something out. You imply that Americans are wasting too much money on expensive cars.....what about yourself? You're wasting 500 hours a year commuting. If you value your time at $25 an hour, that's $12,500 a year. More than buying a new $30,000 car every three years.

Why don't you move to a nice apartment nearer to your job? I think home ownership is way over rated if that's your current situation. You end up spending way too much money and time on taxes, utilities and maintenance for a house. You tie up hundreds of thousands of capital that could be earning a positive return.

#19     Sep 8, 2009
  10. "Enemy winning" is defined as "anything which crimps our borrow-and-spend lifestyle"... including taking the time to watch and reflect upon an attack on our country and the death of many of our citizens...

Bush was/is SUCH a Douche!

#20     Sep 8, 2009