The AIR Car ... the future is friendly

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PokerFXTrader, Dec 23, 2010.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

How much energy does it cost to create compressed air? How much pollution is generated? These topics aren't addressed in the article as far as I can see.

2. Locutus

Locutus

Video says 40gr co2/km.

3. sprstpd

sprstpd

What I am asking is how much pollution is generated to create the compressed air? This seems to be glossed over whenever somebody talks about compressed air driven cars.

4. TGregg

TGregg

Compressed air is (of course) hugely inefficient. Those of us who studied things like psychics and chemistry instead of woman's studies and 3rd century French poetry (or whatever that was from Groundhog Day) know a formula:

PV=nRT (AKA Perverted Nert in my high school chem class)

where P(ressure) is directly related to T(emperature). In other words, when you are pumping it up you are creating heat. And if you compress it a lot then you create a lot of heat. Wasted heat has another name - lost energy.

Interestingly, when you decompress you are sitting on an icebox - which may or may not be useful.

It is curious that we really haven't figured out a good way to store and release energy. When we do, life will be considerably more interesting.

5. montysky

montysky

So you should be able to see a correction is in order. :D

6. Yeah, yeah. Vortex tubes are still the coolest (no pun intended) little things evah.

7. Gasoline engines are much more efficient than generating power at a power plant and using that power to move a car. The whole electric car thing is a scam. This is no better. As they said in the video, the key is if you can compress the air with "renewable" energy, meaning solar or similar. But they can't. You will never run a compressor on solar.