The adventures of a new Trader

Discussion in 'Journals' started by cashmoney69, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cacb

• cacb.jpg
      File size:
      123.7 KB
      Views:
    #21     Jul 20, 2006
  2. issx

all three charts are daily. I dont think that the market will be able to hold up such a great run like we had today. I think that the problems in the Middle east and Oil prices will keep the market in check. Also if earnings are below expectations, that will push the market lower as well.

• issx.jpg
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
    #22     Jul 20, 2006
  3. Looking back on the rules that I posted for myself, I find that I'm not sticking to my own method.

2. I dont think I want to trade stocks with an avg vol of 250,000. In an entire trading day, thats just not enough liquidly. Although some stocks with this range can have some nice moves, i think I'll stick to 420,000 - 20,000,000 avg vol.

3. Stops have been held mentally however on TIE, I forgot to exit my position at its high of 27.00 and ended up selling at 26.88. I was not paying enough attention. I'll work on this.

5. So far, I rarely hold over night. With the M.E conflict, interest rates, earnings, oil.. I dont know if holding over night would be the best thing right now. Or maybe I'm just impatient?...bottom line..I'd rather leave money on the table that lose any from un-necessary risk.

#23     Jul 20, 2006
  4. foible

foible

Have you changed your stoplosses to accomodate your changed targets? Do you have any system which you are using to come up with your target profits & losses? (You used to have one, what has it become?)

Are you sure about shorting those stocks above? Those are some large upcandles with flat tops on unusually large volume. What are you seeing that is telling you these stocks are ready to turn?

#24     Jul 20, 2006
  5. 1. Have you changed your stoplosses to accomodate your changed targets?

-- you mean my changed method?..No, I set stops and profit targets according for where I think s/r is and where the stock will go in the future. I know I said that I'll be looking for 3.00 in my first post, but thinking about it now, 3.00 on every stock I trade..no matter what the price, volume, daily range etc..thats just un-realistic expectations.

2. Do you have any system which you are using to come up with your target profits & losses?

-- Just s/r really

3. As far as the charts I posted..Yea, those are some rather large candles. But as they say, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall". I'm just going to look. I'll buy only if i see a reason to on a 60 minute chart with rising selling pressure, or a gap down.

If you look at the chart for cacb, its been rising for the past like 5-6 days on what looks like average volume..nothing special, AND its above its 3 month high of 30.43 by over 4.00.

According to this news article, I think you'll find why the stock has risen so much (good earnings)

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=AP&Date=20060713&ID=5864019

This good news might be short lived.

- Nathan

#25     Jul 20, 2006
  6. Wow those are very bullish charts. You might get away with shorting those in this down market. But most often than not youll get burned shorting these setups

#26     Jul 20, 2006
  7. Thanks for your concern. Sometimes you have to fight the trend. I always wait for a signal before entering a trade.

---

Bought ISSX @ 22.20

Sold ISSX @ 21.29

gain .90

commission 14

profit 85.00

After thought: I probably should have got in a little bit sooner, but I wanted to wait to see for sure that the stock was falling before getting in. I waited for a .40 loss. After entry, I was waiting for it to fall to 21.00 but after staring at the 10 minute for a long time, it appeared to me that this was its support level, and time to get out before reaching my target.

I did NOT trade CACB or PPDI today

#27     Jul 20, 2006
  8. TIE

descending wedge on daily chart. I'm a buyer on Monday.

support 23.38 - 25.50 (confirmed by volume)

resistance 28.94 - 29.90

#28     Jul 21, 2006
  9. Week in review:

Amzn

I bought this stock on Monday, and sold Tuesday for a .44 gain. Had I waited untl Wednesday, I would have made my 1.23 a share gain PERFECTLY..well under a few cents, then it continued its decline on Thursday and ended Today (Friday) down .99 to 33.13. In a way, I'm kinda glad I sold when I did, because on Tuesday, the stock almost made new lows.

TIE

This was an impulse trade according to my previous post. When I say "Impulse", at the time I think the trade was taken because I saw a rise in volume, didn't want to miss an opportunity.

ISSX

This was my best trade this week. I entered after watching price movement for a while and took my exit without being greedy.

#29     Jul 21, 2006
  10. rosy

rosy

what did you open your account with and where are you now?

#30     Jul 21, 2006