The ACLU demands an end to separation of church & state

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TGregg, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Only Right Wing Fundamentalist Christians walk around with pork on their feet...snorting, belching like the pigs they are...

#21     Jun 19, 2007
  2. jem

jem

Only people filled with hate would respond the way you do.

#22     Jun 19, 2007
  3. I don't wish right wing fundamentalist Christians be converted to a peace loving religion or have them killed...

I just wish they would act like they are trying to follow the path of their Master, Jesus Christ, not acting like greedy pigs and spending their time trying to define public policy in their own religious terms. Your view on gay marriage is just one example of thinking that is not actually rational, but based in your faith. So you offer faith based arguments, and expect others to follow them?

Man, you really don't get it do you?

You very frequently claim to be a Christian, claim to be trying to follow Christ, but you are found continually bashing those who are of a different faith.

Show me some acceptance, show me some forgiveness, show me some tolerance...that is the way of Christ, right?

You are so dead wrong on this. I love Christians, real ones, not the fake republican right wing ones...

Okay, now why did you just judge me to be hateful?

Because Jesus says that is what you should do?

Christians should spend more time looking at their own sins (that is the instruction, right?) than looking to what they think are the sins of others...

I will of course, as a non Christian accept your sincere apology for passing judgment on me...

Or are you one of those Christians who think they are saved so they can sin, and judge, and condemn others and not worry about it because they are already saved?

#23     Jun 19, 2007
  4. I'm glad you asked. Since this is a question of ACLU policy, I went straight to their web site.

http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/27282res20061103.html

Religion is pervasive in the public square in the United States - and it is constitutionally protected. The ACLU has long defended individuals, families, and religious communities who wish to manifest their religion in public. Particularly when compared to other industrialized democracies, religion plays a prominent role in American public life. Churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, cathedrals, and Gurdwaras are plainly visible in the public sphere and their right to display religious symbols and to construct religious edifices is protected by the Constitution and by statutes. The ACLU has supported the right of people to preach their religion in public places and to go door-to-door to spread their religious messages. The Constitution properly protects the right of religious figures to preach their messages over the public airwaves. Religious books, magazines, and newspapers are freely published and delivered through the U.S. Postal System. No other industrialized democracy has as much religion in the public square as does the United States.

Some people, however, mistakenly use the word "public" when they really mean "governmental. "This can be seen, for example, with Ten Commandments monuments. The right of churches and families to erect such monuments on their own property is constitutionally protected, regardless of whether it is public or private and regardless of whether someone is offended or not. A Christian cross that is fully visible from a public sidewalk is constitutionally protected when placed in front of a church. But if that same cross were moved across the street and placed in front of city hall, it would violate the Constitution. The issue is not "religion in the public square" - as the rhetoric misleadingly suggests - but whether the government should be deciding whose sacred texts and symbols should be placed on government property and whose should be rejected.

As a result, the ACLU has undertaken extensive legal defense of Christians and other religious people whose rights of worship are infringed by the state. For examples, see here:

http://www.aclu.org/religion/govtfunding/26526res20060824.html

So now that the ACLU's position is clear, I would like y'all to substantiate your claims that the ACLU is biased against Christians. Can you give a single concrete example?

Martin

#24     Jun 19, 2007
  5. jem

jem

on this thread alone zzzz said:

1. Yall klanish crack me up...angry white males, angry fearful Christians who have a history of burning witches, inquisitions, killing American Indians, etc.

....all in the name of God, of course.

and this :

2. Only Right Wing Fundamentalist Christians walk around with pork on their feet...snorting, belching like the pigs they are...

-----

Now what did I say that contained any bile at all. What gives you the right to lecture me about Christian values. Or, challenge me about my faith. do you have the balls to do that to Muslim or Jew. You are the worst type of hypocrite - l

What - I should not be concerned about the fact the aclu is apparently all for installing foot basins with tax dollars.

And the mere fact I question the lack of equal treatment gives you the right to spill all sorts of bile against white men.

It gives you the right to say I do not know how to practice my religion.

You have all the tolerance in the world except for white christians for whom you frequently shower with your bile.

Its too bad white christians managed to build the most tolerant culture on earth and idiots like you are trying to dismantle it.

#25     Jun 19, 2007
  6. What is your understanding of the word hate?

I would say I hate the actions of the moral majority klannish types when they judge others of different faiths...but I don't hate them. I make a distinction between the man and his actions, something I would think a good Christian would understand and try to practice.

I wish no man, even a fat toad like Limfat, or Sean Hammity, or Man Coulter death or genuine suffering...

Do you get it at all?

Nothing or no one gives me the right (except Baron and his crew of moderators in this forum and on this site), nor do I need the right (beyond Baron's permission) to point out the gap between the rap of many of the right wing Christians, their act, and the teachings of their Master. For some reason, the history of the triad of religions of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all like/or liked to have wars, kill and dominate others and judge others for not worshiping their God or following their own religion based moral codes. Hell, they even kill or have killed each other all in the name of God.

Say, let me ask you counselor, would Jesus approve of you trying to slap me back? What does your high moral court say about that? That you feel justified in behaving in this forum where you regularly lose it and lash out at people who don't agree with you, or call you and your ilk names? Calling you names (without any real profanity, without attacking your family, your children, etc).....man, that's really gotta hurt you badly...

Yall right wing moralist preachy Christians crack me up...

However, your defensiveness tells the whole story...your stone throwing is duly noted.

Original sin is no excuse, for if it were Jesus could have said: "Just have faith in me, then live like a pig, immerse yourself fully in the world, sin all you want, be as materialistic as you want, kill, rape, pillage and don't worry about it...because and I'll settle up your debts in the end because you have faith in me."

You have your personal beliefs, that's cool, but when you bring them into the political sphere and public policy, you can no longer have arguments based on reason, and reason is the one area where we can all find common ground. No one can ultimately argue with a truly religious personal about these matters, but I wager religion, if done right, is 100% a personal deal between man and God, and man's true intent in all his thoughts and actions, and is 100% not of this world, as it is about God's world which is perfect and beyond the imperfections that are the nature of this world we live in.

I'll tell you a fact, Gandhi was a better Christian as a Hindu than most of the Christians who have even lived on this earth...

#26     Jun 19, 2007
  7. [​IMG]

#27     Jun 19, 2007
  8. That's really big of the ACLU to allow churches to actually display religious symbols on their own property. And to send religious material through the mail. Their tolerance is just inspiring.

The issue here is a narrow one. Does the First Amendment's limitation on "establishment of religion" merely ban establishment of a state religion, as was universally assumed for about 200 years, or does it also ban non-coercive government acknowledgement of people's religious beliefs, as for example, by allowing the display of manger scenes at Christmas? The ACLU has advocated the latter view, and many activist judges have gone along with it. To add insult to injury, every time the ACLU brings one of these cases against a state or city and prevails, they are awarded enormous legal fees out of taxpayers' pockets.

#28     Jun 19, 2007
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Bingo!

#29     Jun 20, 2007
  10. =============
    Good points Jem, us usual ;
    & for those who think its not religious, leta dog or hog drink out out of those basins.With all due respect to unbelievers, USA is founded on Judeo Christian foundation, not muslim.

And dont forget to call/email President Bush[asap] & 2 senators ;
    vote against S. bill 1237.
    In the name of preventing terror that stupid law would give AG, [to delight of ACLU] the right to cancel an individual's 2nd ammendment right

:(

#30     Jun 20, 2007