The ACD Method

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by sbrowne126, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Fish sounds so much like W D Gann that it is not funny. What is so sad is that Gann was judged on putting Astro in his analysis, without people understanding that Gann did not have the laptops or desktops of today. He was trying to find a consistent framework in which the markets could be viewed.

That said, Fish does provide this with ACD. It can only make whatever system you have, better.

#451     Sep 10, 2011
  2. Congratulation on being independent and more importantly successful. I think when a trader does not share his/her system, he/she is doing other traders a BIG and REAL favor. There are several reasons for it, but for me 1 key reason is;

1) One can not trade a system based on someone else style/thinking/input. So, it is counter productive and harmful .

Having said that sharing general guidelines and principles is beneficial for both the giver and receiver.

Giver- by sharing crystallizes his/her thinking and receiver hopefully does not have to spend 5 to 8 years to learn if something can be learned in 2 years.

I been trying to help 4 other traders with ACD system for last 4 months. As MF says the day he teaches a class or one of his traders teaches a class, their trading is much better for the simple fact it is very hard for someone to teach something for 2 hours and then go on to trading and do not follow it in his/her own trading.

#452     Sep 10, 2011
  3. Samsara

Samsara

Nah, it's revealing what parts of the layout look like related to my other method. If I were doing ACD by itself, yeah it's all good. But there are two puzzle pieces here. ACD's about human psychology. My own stuff's got specific data.

Keep in mind anyone can search ET years down the road. Not saying I have anything that special or that it will even continue to pay off -- it's just something I've sweated over. After a few years after I began prop, it was a hard lesson to watch something that works begin to decay once people parse what you do algorithmically.

#453     Sep 10, 2011
  4. Sam, markets have worked the same way since they began, you do not have anything that someone else has not already found. Not trying to stamp on what you have sweated over. Markets are simple. Start listening, and you will improve. Ditch the ego, if you can.

#454     Sep 10, 2011
  5. Samsara

Samsara

Hey, congrats also on so quickly getting it right and running with it in CL.

Here's one thing that's always on my mind.

I still hesitate with the idea that working theories get better with popularity. When MBF is the largest clearing firm in its specialty, and when almost everyone in the pit immediately bids up his orders when he places a buy -- that makes sense. But a lot's changed since 2003, with a globalized, electronic marketplace. You gotta watch both the fly-by-night quants and the "bus people" who just flip orders and don't dig into why they're taking positions.

Hell, the prop I used to trade at (not Swift, which was notorious for outsourcing to China) aggressively shipped out its chop shop model to China and drilled its techniques into the students there. There's a cultural norm of replicating something that works in China, by rote, without understanding the theory. There's a lot more bus people out there is all I'm saying.

I kinda commented on this reluctance a while back in this thread.

#455     Sep 10, 2011
  6. Joman

Joman

I've been in one of those firms and can confirm what you say is very true.

One of the question a (senior) trader asked me when I told him I was going to trade on my own was: "but how are you going to trade without the information we have here in the bank ?"

It really made me wonder (one more time) why these guys were paid so much to just steal a bid-ask spread from their clients :)

#456     Sep 10, 2011
  7. I have a slightly different take on everyone looking at same A levels. Your and mine levels do not mean a thing - unless we are GS, MS , MBFCC etc..

In fact even their levels will not mean a thing if no one looks at them.

My belief is that MORE the MERRIER.

Time is more important than PRICE per MF. When talking about bus people getting on the same trade at the same price, i think he was talking about TIME being more important than PRICE.

He was not talking about his levels being so unique that only he knows about them.

Again, I am only talking in terms of day trading as i have no experience with swing or long term trading.

#457     Sep 10, 2011
  8. U have reading skills!

Yes, if the market does not move after a period of time, then something is wrong and it is time to bail. I do not daytrade as I have too much energy to just sit in front of a pc all day. I swing trade all the major economies and their possible combinations. That leads to 27 pairs that I look at. What ACD has done is allow me to objectively qualify each sig that I get. I put in alerts. If the alerts are hit, then I trade. It is simple. IF IF IF one has done homework and already has a system that needs some refining.

#458     Sep 10, 2011
  9. I had a sense that you may be talking about swing/position trading. Thanks for clarifying it. Hopefully, i will be a good student to learn from you and others to take some position trades.

#459     Sep 10, 2011
  10. Mav, you cannot keep this up and expect me to be a worthy adversary in fight club.:D

#460     Sep 10, 2011