The 99ers...long term unemployed

Discussion in 'Economics' started by retaildaytrader, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Yes. If digging a ditch is the only paying job to put food in the stomach of your family then yes, I fucking expect him to take the job becuase that's what a Man does. For you to ask that question...what the fuck has happened to this country..??!?

#21     Jun 3, 2010
  2. Yes, I expect him to take the job too - if the job is available and helps him provide for his family at least some simple food and basic housing.

These jobs are not as easy to come by as those who are not looking for work thinks.

Many low-wage jobs specifically look for kids or retirees making pocket money. They do now want a worker who has to pay for a place to live.

#22     Jun 3, 2010
  3. some of you people are so cynical that unemployment is somehow the result of an individuals lack of motivation. U6 is at 20% and not because 20% of the workforce (a collection of unemployed, culpable individuals) is not properly motivated. Demand for jobs will not increase jobs, demand for output will increase jobs. Encouraging someone to go dig ditches (are there REALLY that many openings for manual labor work? I know a manual laborer that is a 99er and will be overqualified for his old job after he gets his degree anyways, meaning YOU probably couldnt get a ditch digging job either if you get cut.) may just help accelerate the deflationary death spiral we are in.

#23     Jun 4, 2010
  4. The unemployment may be as high as 30%. They are counting the seriously underemployed as being unemployed.

#24     Jun 4, 2010
  5. Walking home from the cme after the work, I can count min, 12 restaurants with help wanted signs, people need to stop being so lazy and entitled.

#25     Jun 4, 2010
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Near me I can count a MINIMUM, 12 empty store fronts that are looking to be rented.

:p :p :p :p :p

#26     Jun 4, 2010
  7. S2007S

S2007S

Wisconsin out of all states is BORROWING $1.4 BILLION dollars!!!!

The State of Wisconsin has run out of money to pay unemployment benefits and has borrowed one point four billion dollars from the federal government to fill the gap.

Wisconsin’s loans place the state as one of the largest Unemployment Reserve debtors in the country.

As the economic climate worsened in Wisconsin the past few years, more and more people lost their jobs and the state’s Unemployment Reserve Fund became insolvent.

“We are coming out of the worst national economic times since the Great Depression,” said John Dipko, Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development Communications Director. “Unemployment insurance has been a critical lifeline for many workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.”

The Wisconsin DWD administers the state’s Unemployment Reserve Fund.

If the amounts in Wisconsin’s Unemployment Reserve account in the U.S. Treasury are not sufficient to cover anticipated unemployment payments, the state can borrow funds from the federal government.

Despite receiving $134 million in Stimulus funds, Wisconsin’s Unemployment Reserve Fund ended 2009 with a deficit of nearly one billion dollars.

#27     Jun 4, 2010
  8. maxpi

maxpi

and they need to stop owing so much that the pay from a simple job would make no difference to their bottom line..

#28     Jun 4, 2010
  9. S2007S

S2007S

Over a million unemployed will lose all benefits starting in June if congress doesn't pass another extension when they come back by June 7th.

My guess is that they pass it, after these numbers today its almost a guarantee that the extension for more unemployment benefits is coming. There will be hundreds and hundreds of weeks worth of unemployment benefits when this recession finally ends. Forget about 99 weeks, I think there going to infinite amount of weeks.

#29     Jun 4, 2010
  10. MattF

MattF

We're already at 2 years. Let's just blow by everything and make it a solid 3 years now...:D

#30     Jun 4, 2010