The 98% Who Fail

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Swan Noir, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Fah Q

Fah Q

a very GOOD point
    :)

#51     Jun 28, 2011
  2. But, if the USA were actually sticking to the constitution, then thousands of laws and executive orders passed since 9/11 would not have happened.

The constitution was more meaningful when it wasn't on a roll in the bathrooms of congress and the white house.

#52     Jun 28, 2011
  3. No one wants to hear this, better let them think there's something wrong with them and if only they tweak here, tweak there, buy a book here, listen to a guru there, it will all be good.

PS Try serious horseplaying for a world class mind fuck.

[​IMG]

#53     Jun 28, 2011
  4. gnode

gnode

Printing money to pay on debt IS default.

On that note, we were in default with QE2.

But back when we had the gold standard, you couldn't print to pay debts. So the 14th amendment would actually avoid default. Now we manage to default in spite of it.

#54     Jun 28, 2011
  5. Very true.I`m just trying to swim with the HFTs,but it just too tight and narrow.Sometimes it goes quiet well,but it`s just so labor intensive,you are like a bot sometimes:D

Side job or side business isn`t a bad idea,as you have nothing to do 70% of the time in the market.Better yet to have the "side trading",i`d say.

#55     Jun 29, 2011
  6. bone

bone

Ten years ago, I was a very high volume Liffe / Eurex trader. I personally re-invented myself into much more of a swing trader, and the results have been very positive for me in terms of my own trading. I have a client who has returned 45% on his capital since going live on March 01, and another client who has returned 10% since April, so I know that stretching out timeframes a bit does work.

Maybe something to consider... longer timeframes and stepping back from the turbulence. Why play into the bots strength ?

#56     Jun 29, 2011
  7. Ash1972

Ash1972

You mean March 2010? :)

Sorry no you meant 1st March.. I read it as March 2001.

#57     Jun 29, 2011
  8. bone

bone

March 2011, futures spreads exclusively. Very modest max drawdowns, scaleable, very cheap to capitalize with the exchange SPAN margin credits. I took on an S&P 500 pit trader in Feb. who is 7 for 7 with the grain spreads.

You do not have to compete with the bots. Guess what, markets trend better and are easier to understand in longer timeframes.

Just a suggestion.

#58     Jun 29, 2011
  9. I disagree... When you open up a business you lose money right away... For example lets say you spend 50k to open up a clothing store. You are in the red until you make back that 50k.... Don't try to make up excuses on why people lose money in trading..

Trading isn't easy, golfing isn't easy, having a successful business isn't easy etc... Is not because trading is unique, it's because people aren't willing to put in the time to make it work...

#59     Jun 29, 2011
  10. bone

bone

Yes, if indeed your business is legal, this is one of those rare generalizations that holds water.

Trading has a very low capitalization entry price compared to other business ventures, and from my observations over the years, most traders fail because they do not have an adequate trading plan and the discipline to follow through with it. For that reason, it would be typical for a successful trader to have taken a few or even several bites at that apple before he ultimately gets it right.

I will typically formulate a trading business plan with a client before they risk anything in the live markets. The client will tell me how much capital he wants to risk per day, and we come up with a 'starter' portfolio of spread combinations and market sectors, as well as position sizing.

#60     Jun 29, 2011