The 7 most facscinating minutes of our space program live tonight!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ki_Af_o9Q9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tonight at 12:31 central time this event will be streamed live to the world. Otherwise known as the 7 minutes of terror.

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

3. Maverick74

Maverick74

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

I gotta stay up until 1:30 ET? Can't I just watch the reruns later tomorrow? :)

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

You could, but then you don't get the terror. What's the fun in that? :)

7. So I'm guessing there is no mars video until after the craft lands and I wonder if they are going to show the video live once they do, or are they going to watch it first (make sure no martians are caught on film) and then show us a couple hours later once they've analysed the footage.

I want live footage like the moon landings. I think this is why people are not interested in space exploration because scientists nowadays always want to look at the footage first and release it days (or weeks) later. Nobody wants to watch a football game that took place 2 weeks ago and nobody wants to watch a mars landing that also took place 2 weeks ago.

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

It will be streamed LIVE, from Burbank Studios in LA, I mean from Mars.

9. And just to be clear...it will be around 10:31pm pacific time that the landing will start?

10. Maverick74

Maverick74

NO! That is the exact time they expect to hear back from the lander. There will be no communication between the lander and NASA for the 7 minute descent through the Mars Orbit. At 10:31 pacific time is when they expect the first signal from the lander "if" the poor thing survived. That video details everything that has to go perfectly in order for this to happen. Very similar to the Apollo 13 landing.

#10     Aug 5, 2012