The $555,000 Student-Loan Burden

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TraderZones, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Maryblume

Maryblume

Some of you people are really good at building and knocking down straw men arguments. But like anything else in life, you get out what you put in. The above poster is completely misguided when he or she claims:

First, age has no relationship to responsibility. Second, why stop there? You could easily have said, "They are kids--qualified to f*ck up their own lives." Some people learn through experience, some do not. As I mentioned previously, there are many adults who have f*cked up their marriages, kids, jobs, investments, body/health, etc. Damn right parents are responsible for the grades of their children. They either raise them to do well and achieve or they raise them to feel self-entitled and they will consequently become slaves of others. You have a billion kids in China and India who want to eat your kids lunch. And I have a feeling that I will be supporting your kids someday...

#41     Feb 17, 2010
  2. MattF

MattF

My parents (and I) were smart enough..we split costs, I went to a state school (public), got Federal Direct loans, and I consolidated when rates were around historic lows.

I probably owe around $16K now, which isn't too much if you think about it...I paid it down in chunks over time, and this and my next gig combined should have it all paid off in less than 5 years. Granted I didn't get any of the jobs I wanted out of college and worked for minimum, but I wasn't "saddled" with an enormous amount, so I didn't "worry" as much.

On the other hand when I was last in TV, someone who went to a private college graduated with over 100K in debt (Sallie Mae loan) and she's still there making somewhere around 11/12 an hour at best. Trying to start her own business on the side, but even there it may not pay "a lot" in the end.

She'll be paying that off until she's probably about 50 at that rate.

#42     Feb 17, 2010
  3. Do we really need to read further?

its not my fault...whaaaaaa...anybody but me...wha wha wha...I`m a doctor..boo hoo...

Getdafuckouttahere!!!!!!!!:D

#43     Feb 17, 2010
  4. Arnie

Arnie

+10

It's easier for a college to raise tuition in response to more demand than it is to really address that demand by building more class rooms or adding teachers.

From what I've seen of recent graduates, some should ask for a refund. :D

#44     Feb 17, 2010
  5. Simple solution...anyone that defaults on a college loan must then serve 4 years in the military, enlisted man status, infantry only . All debt absolved after service. That'll learn'em!:eek:

#45     Feb 17, 2010

6. Forget all the moral arguments in the thread, Herein lies the real problem.
    $100 going to principal, $890 going to interest.
    Sounds like a losing proposition to me for anyone exept Sallie Mae. They're supposed to be a non for profit organization whose purpose is to help students afford college tuition to become doctors, nurses, etc which we need and yet they choke them with "fine print" that bites them in the ass and hinders their careers and success. These are jobs that are in demand, but people cant afford medical school because they wont take out loans and they can't afford it outright. So who wins?

#46     Feb 17, 2010
  7. drcha

drcha

Well, I would certainly agree that you are totally responsible for them while they are children. If you haven't done the groundwork by the time they are 18, there is no point in trying to do it then.

Even when they are adults, your guidance (if they will listen to it) is essential. But picking up the pieces? No. At some point they have to be allowed to make their own mistakes.

#47     Feb 17, 2010
  8. The rest of the world while we shaft and turn our future generation into indentured slaves. I see the US a third rate nation like Mexico in 40-50 years down the line.

#48     Feb 17, 2010
  9. Maryblume

Maryblume

You obviously don't understand the value of education. Someday if you are able to go to even "a crappy state university" you may learn that the true value of an education is that it teaches you to think for yourself. It's not about becoming part of upper class society. Once you understand the value of INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL, the rest will follow.

#49     Feb 17, 2010
  10. It should be 1 year for every $10,000 of debt with a minimum of 4 years....

#50     Feb 17, 2010