The $555,000 Student-Loan Burden

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TraderZones, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Maryblume

Maryblume

I agree with you because you are absolutely right. Although why allow medical bills? Fact is that this person will contribute far more to society in her professional and tax contributions over her life than most of the deadbeats who consume hundreds of thousands in welfare and only give several bastard children who continue to leech off the system.

#31     Feb 16, 2010
  2. Buzzed

Buzzed

I only mention medical bills because like dead people, I just cannot see society expecting disabled people to pay back the medical bills when they can't work. If they can still work, then of course I would expect the medical bills to be paid back.

The core problem is an inflated health care and education system. Both are supported by tax dollars which have made both unreasonably expensive. However with education, at least you don't need it to survive, whereas in certain cases you may need medical treatment to continue to function.

#32     Feb 16, 2010
  3. Disabled ppl get SS and medicade

#33     Feb 16, 2010
  4. Maryblume

Maryblume

Here's what you said:

When you have the attitude of only investing the minimum into your children, what do you think will happen? If their grades are sub-par and they do not have a documented learning disability, then that means that YOU f*cked up! If that happens then somewhere along the line you failed to teach them the value of education. There's a very common theme of all the sh*t that happens today. It's lack of responsibility.

#34     Feb 16, 2010
  5. Maryblume

Maryblume

Ok, I see your point about the disabled. I wouldn't have a problem with the government providing 30-year interest free loans for *some* education (medicine, engineering, science) which are aimed at creating wealth. There's really no financial incentive to become a doctor today. People that intelligent can easily make more money with much less risk in other fields.

#35     Feb 16, 2010

6. I don't see how he is not investing in his children?

#36     Feb 16, 2010
  7. Ok, fair enough. So we are tightening up the regs on corp. bankruptcy then too? What good for the goose.........

#37     Feb 16, 2010
  8. $6K for a lot of community college for 2 years. Perhaps $20,000 for 2 years state university.

Our parents. siblings and ourselves paid taxes to the state, why the heck should that poster's kids go to pricey private schools and get a major in History and Art Appreciation on his nickel? So that his/her own retirement is in jeopardy? So that these unemployable kids move back in with the folks to sponge off them?

My parents did not fund any of their kidstuition/books - and we all got bachelor's or masters, they did not cosign loans - but we could stay at home free during college (if we were local). And millions of us paid our own college and did fine without taking our parents' money. MaryBlume 5-poster is completely off base.

#38     Feb 16, 2010
  9. College was a lot cheaper back when the elements were air earth fire and water.

#39     Feb 16, 2010
  10. drcha

drcha

Isn't the fact that you are even making this statement the crux of the problem?

By the time they are going to college, they are old enough to f-up all on their own. Are you going to continue taking responsibility for their errors until the day they bury you, or are you going to let them learn on their own?

This is how people learn and grow--they screw up. Then, if they are halfway motivated and intelligent, they figure out how to get out of the mess they have made and how to do better next time. And they become better and more confident in themselves because of the experience. If you are going to hold their hand for the next fifty years, then they will never figure anything out--why should they, if mommy and daddy will always fix everything?

There is no way in hell that any parent is responsible for the grades of their children in college. They are adults--qualified to drive, drink, vote, and get killed in wars, and they are responsible for themselves.

#40     Feb 16, 2010