The $1 Billion Armageddon Trade Placed Against the United States

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by EON Kid, Jul 26, 2011.

1. I wonder how many politicians have interest/investments in private funds holding CDS against the US?

#11     Jul 26, 2011
  2. Illum

Illum

Wow, what garbage reporting. They have zero clue about futs. Money Morning "news you can profit from" My ass. Only paulson can trade 5000 lot? This is what happens when itt grads get together and open a website.

#12     Jul 26, 2011
  3. Just remember that ZeroHedge is Long SPY Aug Puts

#13     Jul 26, 2011
  4. So buy calls?

#14     Jul 26, 2011
  5. Of course, Reagan was the champ, with 18 debt ceiling hikes during his administration.

Hell, that's basically a restatement of Obama's position...

#15     Jul 26, 2011
  6. Illum

Illum

The trade may be a good one, same with zerohedgers. But this article is fubar about the size of the trade. They don't seem to understand derivatives and are drooling over the size in amazement.

#16     Jul 26, 2011
  7. Mercor

Mercor

Initial margin is about 25 million dollars. that will cover about a 3 point move.
    To lose $1 billion on this trade bonds would need to rally over 100 points
    The media always embellishes the risk of futures.

#17     Jul 26, 2011
  8. Stupid stupid article.

#18     Jul 27, 2011
  9. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

Im always amazed at how patriotism (an emotion) rules over common sense and fact among American traders.

These are the facts:

- over 50% of US debt is held overseas.
    - the majority of this debt is held by Chinese
    - the USA is already technically bankrupt
    - although a small income tax increase will ease the situation, the american public will never want to pay more tax in the short term, even to escape the turmoil of what we see happening in Europe.
    - interest rates cant go any lower, they can only go one way from here. What will that do to yields.....?......

To my thinking, this trade is a no-brainer.

The telling thing is the timing of the trade, and the way it was executed, not the fact it occurred.

Get a bucket! Some of you are gunna be sick......

#19     Jul 27, 2011
  10. This can be simple hedging by a bond fund

#20     Jul 27, 2011