that bloomberg question got me thinking, what would it take to create an equivalent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magnum29464, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Badoit

Badoit

pricing models for Fixed Income.

Swaps, floors, caps and caplets etc... even Credit derivatives.

A bloomy is:

Quick at getting you the news.

Shit if you are into your TA

ESSENTIAL of you are trading institutional FI. You can't trade without it.

#11     Sep 17, 2008
  2. bone

bone

It's really impossible to explain the Bloomberg functionality to anyone used to CQG, or TradeStation or Aspen etc..

BT really is in it's own world in terms of functionality. You don't buy it for the graphics or the order routing - you buy it for the immense data and the analytics for that data. There's a reason why every serious desk has them.

Go get a demo from somebody who knows what it's all about. It's like a divorce - it's expensive because it's worth it.

#12     Sep 17, 2008
  3. Bloomberg terminal is the holy grail of financial information. Its part of any gurus tool chest. 1 trade a month pays for it. If you want to trade stocks professionally its the rolls royce of info.

Check my posts and see what I see. I am calling for 10200 then back up. I called the 8000 level a few years ago. I called the merrill as well as the countrywide debacle.

If you get a Bloomberg terminal then you can sell one set of derived information for a new business. Its that Good

#13     Sep 17, 2008
  4. BB is the SHIT!

I have used it for almost a decade. There is NOTHING better out there, BB offers a plethra of information at your fingertips.

For those BB users out there..I actually just talked to my rep today and he was commenting on how many time I use "surp f8" function. A little over 1700 times just last month LOL.

I use it for Earnings mostly, this is how I really make the money.

Edit: I have have about 10 stock filters I use every morning..so I guess that helps too.

#14     Sep 17, 2008
  5. The old SI function Short interest is my favorite indicator. Its how you can check a sector and see whos the next short victims. The shorts are never wrong. BB for president.

#15     Sep 17, 2008
  6. YES!

Have you ever used their Tradebook?

#16     Sep 17, 2008
  7. Many of bbg models are complete shit, ask any quant why they pump the feed into Expo and Excel, and not only for structured product. It's been widely used since the late-80s. That's a massive barrier to entry. Hundreds of fixed analytical-pages.

#17     Sep 17, 2008
  8. instant short interest data does sound useful. What are some of the other useful features bloombergs offer?

Is the data like book value or profit margins updated instantly upon a companies report or is there a delay?

#18     Sep 18, 2008
  9. Here is what you have to do with BB: Find a strategy then use BB to test it out. For example volume> Or insider WSJ function. Track the insider buying and you will find loads of stuff.

BB is the best service on the block if your trades find it necessary to be validated by it. Its complicated but once you find your key service area its like having a crystal ball.

Its also a great way to track the preferred stock. Im sure Buffet has a bloomberg. Goldman is the last one standing. Long live the king. Merrill is still bleeding more to come just watch the first shoe is the only one dropped so far.

I think Goldman will take Citibank if they can. Its a long shot but if those two get together they wipe out the competition which is how they like to play....

#19     Sep 25, 2008
  10. gee, all these banks and brokers getting their asses kicked have bloomberg?

guess its how you use it

#20     Sep 27, 2008