Thanking God for your good fortune is the ultimate conceit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, May 9, 2007.

1. You are full of shit, you are a complete loser, and you are into little boys.

Oh wait, I am not being rude so much as I am just being forthright and candid.

Come on...get real.

If the athlete had thanked his personal trainer, wife, coach, mother and father, etc. you would not consider that rude, because the player is expressing his gratitude for those who in his mind he believes helped him compete to win.

So he thanks God, which in his mind he believes helped him compete to win...and you can't handle that because you are an atheist and have a hissy pissy fit...

Your flawed, illogical argument is the only thing here that is "deep and utter bullshit."

#41     May 11, 2007
  2. The athlete in question thanked all of the people who were on his side, and rightly so. His coach and parents wanted him to win and urged him on. I agree that if God was on the athlete's side that he should thank Him for any of His consideration that led to his victory. How unfortunate for those who lost because God was not on their side, don't you think? I bet they wished they were special, too, so that God would have done a little something for them as well. Now the vanquished can go home with their defeat and the knowledge that God helped the other players who thanked him so effusively for their success.

#42     May 11, 2007
  3. You once again are showing complete ignorance, and being illogical.

God can be on both sides, which is the belief of theists. All the time we see athletes from both winning and losing sides meet in the middle of the playing field to pray together and give thanks to God. See, God is actually more important to these people than the game, and they are genuinely thankful to God for just being able to compete. Since both winning and losing teams pray to God and give thanks, you are the one who sees winners and losers beyond the game itself. There will always be a winning and losing team unless it is a tie, and those of faith both equally thank God after the games, they give credit to God for the inner strength God gives them, etc.

You won't find many if any athletes who say that God "caused" them to win the game, or that God determined the outcome of the game because God favored one side over the other.

They are thanking God for the strength to compete. That same strength was given to both sides equally who asked for it.

You simply don't understand that strength, being an atheist.

What the athlete is thanking God for, you don't understand, can't understand, and will not understand...because you are an atheist who has no personal relationship with God.

This is why your argument is so flawed, you are commenting about something that you have no understanding of, namely the athlete's relationship with God.

You just don't get it, you continue to post these infantile threads which are based in your own ignorance.

My guess is that you are not an athlete, nor every were one, never competed in sports.

So you are an atheist who doesn't understand sports and/or team sports from experience, and don't understand how a theist feels, but you are hissy and pissy accordingly.

#43     May 11, 2007
  4. Interesting how I pass judgment on the words or sentiment chosen, whereas you are quick to also judge the person (me). I guess I have not yet reached the height of spirituality required to do so. You know nothing about me, but are quick to pass judgment on my character. You know even less about an alleged God and yet are are quick to support anything that is consistent with your own bias in the absence of any supporting logic. Next time you hear such a victory speech, be sure to listen to the words spoken, not the ones you wish to hear. They may or may not align with what you wrote. The speech I originally referred to did not.

It is one thing to win or succeed either as a result of luck or skill, either with or without the help of others. It is quite another to assume that God was rooting for you. If you cannot see the implied self-righteousness of thanking God for a victory that came at the expense of another, then we have clearly arrived at an impasse in our exchange. I'd like to thank God for that.

#44     May 11, 2007
  5. I figured when could no longer defend your argument, after it was pointed out how badly flawed, ignorant and illogical the argument was...the personal attacks by you toward me would begin.

Okay, play it your way...

Man, you really are one pathetic loser...

#45     May 11, 2007
  6. Astonishing. I point out that you are judging me and not only my argument. You then accuse me of attacking you personally because I made that observation. And finally, you sign off with a personal attack. You are quite correct to assume that I have absolutely no idea of the nature of your relationship with God.

#46     May 11, 2007
  7. So, I am judging you and your argument?

What does that have to do with your argument?

What I do or don't do, whether I am logical or illogical has nothing to do with the truth or falsity of your argument, nor is it any logical defense of the flaws of your argument.

Your argument has been show to be flawed, illogical and fallacious.

The major premise of the argument is fallacious and false because it rests on an argument grounded in the fallacy of false dilemma, as well as an assumption without evidence that the person in question and their comments were representative of an act of conceit. Flat out, you fail to make a case for your statements based on anything but flawed arguments.

As I have shown, it is logically possible for God to be equally on the side of those who win and those who lose, those who acquire fortunes and those who do not.

That people give thanks to God is something that you don't understand, and you have a problem with their belief system...which also is illogical as long as their actions do not harm you personally.

You don't like it, so you act like a little bitch...

#47     May 11, 2007
  8. OK, OK. You don't have to get so spiritual about it.

Oh, and as for your reference to logic, I applaud your ability to at least spell the word. With any luck, comprehension will follow.

#48     May 11, 2007
  9. We only assume those things because of observed evidence. You cant do that with god because he never speaks or acts.
    Yes i agree human intellect is limited but is a lot less limited today than it was when primitive humans developed the concept of gods. Gods were invented to answer questions their primitive minds could not conceive of. Primitive minds could not conceive of a natural explanation for thunder and lightning so they thought it was a god speaking to them.

#49     May 11, 2007
  10. Have you thought about praying for lower taxes since every prayer you have ever prayed has been answerd? One has to wonder why when parents pray for a dying child the answer is always no but he has no trouble helping you make more money trading.

#50     May 11, 2007