Thanking God for your good fortune is the ultimate conceit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, May 9, 2007.

1. Again, and I have said this many, many times, you are applying human logic, based in limited knowledge, limited intellectual capacity, limited sensory ability (Dogs hear things humans generally can't as an example, hawks have better eyesight, etc.) to a situation of a relationship with God.

You start with some assumptions of what God would be, and what would be proper and fair, etc. are relates to a relationship with God.

This is generally an insane process, as you are trying to make an assumptive faith (faith in non God) based argument of how things should be as relates to a relationship between God and man...relative to the personal beliefs of others.

By suggesting that those who are giving thanks to God are incorrect suggest that you know what the correct response should be for the theists as relates to your concept of God...

Really, it is the hubris of your own atheism judging theists that is what really comes through most clearly.

There is so much judgment revolving religion and the personal beliefs people have, from theist judging other theists, from atheists judging theists, to theists judging atheists as relates to the ultimate condition of God and man, or in your case, non God and man, that no point can be found that could be placed as a truth.

You are arguing from a negative, which is what atheist always seem to do when it relates to the theists and their belief systems. Since you are practicing a belief system that cannot be verified, i.e. atheism, there is again no legitimate logical platform to evaluate the beliefs of theists, and vice versa.

Why this bothers you so much, how it impacts your own personal life...i.e. what others believe as they expound their own personal belief systems is what I find most striking.

There are many religions around the world, many different belief systems, including the belief system of atheism.

I see no real and necessary reason to pass judgment on other beliefs except in an attempt to validate one's own.

My gut instinct is that you are not genuinely secure in your own personal beliefs, so there is a need to focus in on what you think the liabilities or problems are with others and their belief systems. You spend time comparing your beliefs to the beliefs of others, and looking for what is wrong with their belief systems, or how they don't match your own.

Now, this only goes to belief systems, not the manner in which people then use their belief systems in a political process to have power or influence the lives and beliefs of others.

People using their theistic or atheistic belief systems to influence others through a political process I do take issue with.

#21     May 11, 2007
  2. pattersb

pattersb Guest

you're assuming people don't give thanks for their defeats ...

clearly you're not a sports fan, the most heralded are those who humble themselves before their defeated foes ... Cal Ripken comes to mind ...

#22     May 11, 2007
  3. Why would one even assume there is some deity out there that we cant understand because of our limited knowledge? Without your prior indoctrination to believe in God and just using all available evidence we have today there is no reason to assume any gods exist.

#23     May 11, 2007
  4. First, do we agree that human mind, human senses, human intellect are all of a limited nature?

As far as reason to assume, there is no purely logical reason to assume anything at all...yet we do so every single day, we assume the next minute we will be alive, we assume that the car next to us on the freeway will drive brake properly, etc. because it is our human nature to assume and believe things which are not known, or not really knowable.

Human beings are incapable of functioning without a belief system of some kind.

I have no problem with your personal beliefs and personal assumptions, but you seem to perpetually have issues with others.

Again, when I see this, it makes me wonder how content you actually are in your own personal belief system, if you repeatedly find flaw in others in order to reinforce your own...

#24     May 11, 2007
  5. jem

jem

The person framing this discussion is you. I am not framing. Myself and archipus have pointed out the other things a victor could be thinking. Your conclusion is not the only conclusions one may make. Thanking God for the opportunity for victory in no way puts the loser down.

I thank God for my team and my coaches , for the fact that he let a guy like me (read unworthy) win a super bowl.

How does a speech like that put down the losers.

Like I said I have never seen a victor say Hey God thanks for making me great and the other guy a piece of shit.

#25     May 11, 2007
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

I was a victim of "WHY ME" for about the last 3-4 years i have been struggling with something very dear to me...now after all these years I now know "why me"....because there is no one better to handle the situation at hand and to give and love like me....so now i actually give thanks that it happened to me and not to someone who couldn't give a flying F**k...:D

#26     May 11, 2007
  7. Indeed, I am applying my own limited human logic. However, I am applying it to the interpretation of other humans who share my general limitations. Apples and apples.

True, I do not believe in any deity. My frail, human mind is perplexed at how some people give thanks to God and then admit that they do not even have a conceptual understanding of God or His will. How can you be thankful for something that you cannot even conceptually understand? Is it not potentially like the scenario I proposed in an earlier post, whereby a chess opponent lulls you into a forced mate by sacrificing (giving) you one or more of his pieces? Should you be thankful for those shiny pawns? Answer: Only if you are clueless. When it comes to the unknowable, there is no basis for giving thanks or anything else.

Personally, I can only be thankful for something I can understand at least in principle. If I have no conceptual understanding, as you seem to accept that we humans don't, then it is indeed like a silent dog whistle that, by definition, can only go unnoticed by our ears. Let's make a deal. I won't fake hearing the whistle if you don't fake some semblance of implicit understanding by giving thanks.

Once again, please be sure to note that I am not assessing a God in which I do not believe anyway. I am assessing the understanding and interpretation of other humans with limitations not unlike my own. Apples and apples.

#27     May 11, 2007
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

there is no logic on either side of this debate...so as you conclude why use logic?? when all you need to use is faith...and both you and i use it everyday in our belief...what makes you think you use logic???? please if so....show me on paper the logic you use to come up with your belief....

#28     May 11, 2007
  9. Certainly not in those words.

#29     May 11, 2007
  10. Okay, go ahead and apply your own limited human logic to personal belief systems of others, and be completely illogical in the process...

No, it is not apples to apples at all, flawed analogy.

Simply because you are taking your own personal conclusions based on limited human logic, and evaluating the personal conclusions of others based on their own limited human logic, and thinking that your conclusions are not only right for you, but the conclusions of others are wrong for others to have. You are pushing your belief system onto others, your personal belief system because it is not in alignment with others and their belief systems.

It simply is not enough for you to be content in your own personal beliefs, which demonstrates the nature of those beliefs...

Oh, and as far as "how can you be thankful for something you cannot even conceptually understand" it is very natural.

Understanding a concept is not necessary for being thankful, as the thankful feelings come from the heart, not the intellect.

A hungry beggar who has not eaten for days is very thankful for some scraps of food, and he can have no conceptual understanding of much at all.

People are thankful for lots of things they don't truly understand, simply because their personal experience trumps the need for intellectual or conceptual understanding.

If you have ever been in love, you should understand this...

#30     May 11, 2007