Thank God For The NRA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 29, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

Wayne LaPierre, CEO of the powerful National Rifle Association, will tell a Senate panel on Wednesday that the federal government should not enact any new gun-control laws.

“Law-abiding gun owners will not accept blame for the acts of violent or deranged criminals,” LaPierre is scheduled to tell the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“Nor do we believe the government should dictate what we can lawfully own and use to protect our families,” he added.

“While we’re ready to participate in a meaningful effort to solve these pressing problems, we must respectfully — but honestly and firmly — disagree with some members of this committee, many in the media, and all of the gun control groups on what will keep our kids and our streets safe,” he will state.

“Proposals that would only serve to burden the law-abiding have failed in the past and will fail in the future.”

LaPierre said the government must work to enforce gun laws already on the books, prosecute criminals who misuse firearms, and review the “full range of mental health issues” associated with gun violence.

“We need to be honest about what works and what does not work. Proposals that would only serve to burden the law-abiding have failed in the past and will fail in the future,” he will testify.

He denied that universal background checks would curb crime, arguing that “criminals will never submit to them.”

“But there are things that can be done and we ask you to join with us,” LaPierre will say. “The NRA is made up of millions of Americans who support what works … the immediate protection for all — not just some — of our school children; swift, certain prosecution of criminals with guns; and fixing our broken mental health system.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/lapierre-nra-wont-accept-blame-for-criminals-86868.html

2. kandlekid

kandlekid

Seems like a fairly thoughtful testimony. Look, I'm not a gun owner. Probably never will be. Don't know if I could trust myself with one. Afaik, no one in my family (granddad, father, etc) ever owned a gun. But I still believe in the right to own one.

I think there needs to be an honest dialogue about this. Each side needs to "disarm" itself and attempt to find common ground. Mssr. LaPierre's testimony seems to be a step in the right direction. Following his lead, I think the gun lobby needs to articulate some of the reasons for their position. When the Chinese govt calls for the American public to be disarmed, I think thoughtful Americans should ask "Why ?"

From Pravda (i.e. Russian for truth) ... not a right wing idealogue :

http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/21-12-2012/123268-china_usa-0/