Thailand Traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by bkktrading, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Podimer

Podimer

thanks a lot,
    seems as if i will probably end up paying the extra 2000 baht per month to cut my true and try the SiamIDC, who seem to provide something for a few of the other providers. definitely worth the extra $60 per month if it gets rid of one missed stop or even the peace of mind rattling uncertainty of when it will go down. also, seems as if CAT has a promo here in BKK at 4MB for 1090 baht. will inquire when they are open on Monday but if SiamIDC is better, will kick down the 3000 baht/month.
    been in Thailand on and off for 9 years and for the first time, made it to Pattaya yesterday to meet a friend that owns a condo in Jomtien. crazy place from what i could tell in a day through his guidance, kinda like a somewhat murky water Waikiki beach and lots of good eats coupled with Patpong and Silom's traffic (though i heard that was only because of the three day weekend). i am sure once you live there, it is much more than that though?
    be well

#21     May 2, 2009
  2. Podimer

Podimer

sorry dude, must be my somewhat jumbled writing style but yeah, have lived in Bangkok on and off for the past 9 years. first impression of Bangkok is as you say, especially if you come in January through April, when it may not have rained in a few months and the air can get pretty thick. still, my nose/throat and lungs fair better here than in Vegas. maybe it is the dust from the desert, but any more than a week there and my throat is sore and i have a dry hack. Bangkok has heaps of great restaurants, kickin' nightlife, countless education opportunities, and just enough quiet, jungle condos in which to live. off our balcony is just a view of trees and it is only $250 per month.

also, the internet in bangkok is faster than anywhere else in Thailand, at least that is what the speedtest.net link from anita883 says.
    have not had any major problems with the internet (mind you, have 2 providers just in case) and i am running 10 esignal charts from one ISP and 3 of IB's booktrader windows as well as Redi feeding data for 300 symbols to an excel spreadsheet and 4 order entry montages at all times from the other, more reliable ISP. the charts are occasionally slower than the other so is ok if my early ALzheimer's riddled mind remembers to login my trading accounts to the faster ISP's computer.
    i would not trust any Thailand hotel's internet service to trade any size. might work fine but then again...that's just me.

good luck with your trading

#22     May 2, 2009
  3. bespoke

bespoke

haven't been in thailand for a couple of years. do a lot of hotels offer internet in the rooms now? the ones i stayed in never did back then.

before when i lived there i used TOT and whenever it was down i would use 3G from my USB phone modem (Nokia N70). so with both of those plugged into my laptop at the same time i would never have downtime for too long. i wasn't trading back then though, just playing poker online

im planning to go back for a couple of months in the next while

#23     May 2, 2009
  4. Podimer

Podimer

almost all of the big name hotels, Starwoods, Marriotts, etc. offer either LAN or wireless in the room but charge something like 650 baht per night. better still, this cheaper one http://www.grandbusinessinn.net/ has internet with the room and my buddy who stays there says he has had no problems with it. overall, i think the internet is getting better all the time here but still wouldn't trade anything that would freak me out if the internet went down or suddenly got very slow. like you did, great to have a backup of some sort. this site has a list of free wifi in the city... http://www.stickmanweekly.com/WiFi/ThailandFreeWirelessInternetWiFi.htm
    i can't imagine really trading on these as there may be too many distractions AND you would get kicked out before the market closes, no doubt still waiting for your positions to come in or get stopped out. either way, it gives a bit more insight into internet in Thailand.
    poker, yeah, still takes up way too much of my time which i rationalize by saying it is keeping me in the "play the probabilities" mindset thus indirectly helps me come up with high probability systems for trading...uh...right...

good luck with everything:-D

#24     May 3, 2009