Thailand Traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by bkktrading, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mmqc

mmqc

Keanu01,
    What Isp do you use in Bangkok?

#11     Apr 29, 2009
  2. Podimer

Podimer

just in case you don't get an answer on that, i use both TRUE and TOT, the latter being a little more reliable lately though i am told TRUE is the better. neither have ever actually been completely down for me in 6 months of use but can get a little sluggish at times. overall, seems about as good as in the states and cost is about 1000 baht each per month (almost $30).

best of luck and enjoy the city and wacky trading hours

#12     Apr 30, 2009
  3. mmqc

mmqc

Thank you Podimer for the information.
    I am considering going to Bangkok as a medical tourist. I was there last year for a week and was impressed with the ciivility of the people -- but then, tourists are no doubt treated with great deference. Even though the political unrest in the last six months has given me pause, I continue to fill in the blanks regarding a stay of at least 3 months. Thanks again for your reply.

#13     Apr 30, 2009
  4. anita883

anita883

#14     Apr 30, 2009
  5. Podimer

Podimer

much thanks for the info and links. let me amend my previous post saying that neither are ever down as my true went out 3 times last night, albeit for just 2 minutes at the most. still, if it happens to be after a fill and just before i get to put in my stops, can be a pirate "arghhhhh" moment of wondering. whilst the TOT isn't blindingly fast, i have not had any noticeable data lag (uh...compared with the True, where my charts run).

anyway, as your links seem to have folks complaining about c.a.t., have you ever tried any of the ISPs at the top of the speedtest like siamIDC? i had loxley 7 years ago when the internet was no doubt a different animal here, cutting out and slowing down often so still have a mouse turd flave in the mouth from it that i just can't rinse out. still, i reckon these more obscure ones at least have the possibility of being fast as opposed to true, who advertises on every third billboard in BKK. i should have known better, especially when our busiest time, now 8:30 p.m. is when EVERYONE is on.

please to let me know whatchoo know and thanks again for the links

thanks again for the info and best of luck trading

#15     Apr 30, 2009
  6. Podimer

Podimer

i rarely notice the unrest, though was stuck in India when the Yellow shirts closed the airport back in November. when they congregate, it is usually around Sanaam Luang or the govt. buildings in Banglamphu which is a world away from where you will most likely be having surgery, i am guessing Silom or Sukhumvit areas. beyond that, you can register to receive emails from the US embassy here so they will tell you if there is a protest here or there http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/acsregform.htm
    not sure if this is what i did but i get emails from ACSBKK@State.gov

I have had a few friends and relatives go under the scalpel here so if you have any questions, i may be able to answer or direct you to where they can be answered.
    to me, the Thais are a pleasant bunch who like to smile and laugh. they may not be what we westerners would consider the most sincere lot but hey, we can emphasize and interpret behaviors in any way we choose, no?
    any questions at all about Thailand, feel free to post or we can email each other.

best of luck

#16     Apr 30, 2009
  7. Podimer

Podimer

ok, i was looking at BKK. it seems as if in Pattaya, CAT is king but if you happen to have experience/info with any of the BKK ISPs, please let me know.

Thanks again.

#17     Apr 30, 2009
  8. Have fun breathing that air man. There is decent internet there. I know nothing about Thai brokers but don't see why you'd use one... I had no problem connecting to my US based brokers from the internet there. I stayed at a very expensive hotel there(in thai money - in NYC it would be a piece of shit sex hotel at that price, only in Thailand can I justify paying for a 5 star) in the center of Bangkok, and found the internet decent enough to place orders for positions and to stop myself out manually, but not good enough to do rapid-paced scalping of US equities.

Thailand is a beautiful country, but Bangkok? I mean, as far as chokingly polluted whorehouses go the city of Bangkok is okay, but compared to... say, Hua Hin, I can't see any reason to live there.

This is probably a stupid question, but have you actually been to Bangkok before?

#18     Apr 30, 2009
  9. anita883

anita883

Podimer .
    Thats right ,I am in Pattaya . BTW , those threads were from last year , internet has improved in thailand recently .
    I have found that CAT is the main government supplier of internet services. Most all of other providers get their internet from them . TOT recently recieved another supplier other than CAT . I have used IPstar sattelite, Hutch CDMA , also ToT .
    As far as Bangkok internet , i would stay with the big 3, but check out the speed and latency to the USA. before subscribing ADSL works best , also the more you pay for residental internet , the better. you get what you pay for when trading
    Commercial internet is still expencive , as in 10000 B month or more.
    Best of luck Trading ,especially when your Cheap internet cuts out while trading

#19     May 1, 2009
  10. anita883

anita883

Podimer
    you'r right , speedtest's need to be done near market open , as it is primetime and not the same as afternoon speedtest's

Thanks for the info on SiamIDC. i will have to check them out . i'm not sure if it is available in Pattaya though.

#20     May 1, 2009