TF trading/scalping journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by fb_klink, Dec 17, 2011.

1. gibdi0n

gibdi0n

hi I see ure trading russell. I trade russell for 1-2 years on paper trade. im from croatia. same problem with job. u need to work and than to sit down and trade. Ive learned from now that U need a limit of max trades per day. and if U reach your day goal (mine goal is 200$) stop trading. can U trade some strategy that U use.
    If U wonder about best account menagement for trading russell than it would be 2% of your entire account and it is 340 000$. 2% of that is 6800$. that is optimum. Now I have like 5000$ so I cant even trade it at all. Im way undercapitalized. But if U have 25 000$ (minimun for day trading stocks) it would be 27% of account. that would be fine if you keep your lossess small.

#21     Jan 11, 2012
  2. +20$ / 1 winner / 1 loser / after comm I think there´s not much left

I beginn to think that the channeltrend is real, yes I know very late. The last time I traded the TF Futures at VIX 20 is long ago.

gibdiOn -

I don´t think we need 340000$ to be comfortable with trading 1 contract at the real ICE price.
    If you are daytrading like me, think about the 2% as a max drawdown on 1 contract, say 500$ stoploss on market if the 100-200$ Stoploss limit order don´t get filled in volatility.
    You need there 25000$ to accomplish that with the 2%.

What timeframe do you trade?

#22     Jan 12, 2012
  3. fb - I appreciate your honestly and strong desire to learn. This is a great thread. Not only are your comments interesting, but you have also gotten some good comments by others. You should know that we are all wishing you well.

I have some advice for you that may seem odd. I doubt this secret has ever been shared before on ET.

A secret to trading is water.

1. As soon as you come home take a hot shower. Let all of the energies of your day job wash away and prepare for battle in the pits.

2. When ever you do not know what to do - drink an entire glass of water - relax - good back to what you were doing.

You must not do this sometimes but always.

#23     Jan 12, 2012
  4. Sounds like you're doing ok so far. Treading water at least and keeping losses low. That's all one can ask for in the beginning while hoping to improve.

#24     Jan 12, 2012
  5. gibdi0n

gibdi0n

i trade intraday on 5 min time frame. are U showing trades with real money or u paper trading?
    so u made 11 trades 4 winners +20$ / 7 lossers -70$. I will not count in last years trades. 11 trades with such a small amount of loss/win ratio. weird.
    u need to put some more things to measure your performance.
    im not trading this week cos im working afternoons but i measure:
    time / duration of trade / was it sold or bot / profit-loss with commissions/ my risk ratio of that trade / when I enter and exit / R ratio (Van K. Tharp book).

U must know total amount of your trades, number of winners in numbers and in dollars, number of losers in number and in dollars, and COMMISSIONS. they eat U alive on day trading.
    example: Total 18 trades, Profit 5 trades(760$), Loss 8 trades(-710$), 5 scratch trades= 50$ earned, commissions 126$

#25     Jan 12, 2012
  6. -230$ / 4 Winners / 1 Loser

Uhhh this was hard, but my fault, holding on losers.

Thanks for your encouragement.
    This week so far was very tough for me. Low Volatility was a reason for sticking a bit too long in positions while nothing is moving.
    It´s a bit upsetting for me to pass the first 1 1/2 hours of the day. because much action in this time I´m missing.
    Another 30min going to drawing lines over the charts and searching for trends.

I´m going back to safe trades(1-2 per day) or mini Scalps. I don´t know ... going to read over my trades and my books.

#26     Jan 12, 2012
  7. gibdi0n

gibdi0n

russell mini is best traded from 16:00 - 18:00, and 20:00 - 22:00 +1 gm time (paris, berlin). if u are from germany than this is it. firs half of hour is lot of volatility and after half hour thy often chose direction for trend. I dont like to trade if there is less than 500 contracts per 5 min. between 18:00 and 20:00 i relax or do something else, or going true my strategy. I dont trade last 15 min because it can be very volatile.
    volatility has fallen drastically in past few day. put ATR (average true range) on 1 day chart. its below average.

#27     Jan 12, 2012
  8. Where is emg when you need him..?

#28     Jan 12, 2012
  9. dc555

dc555

Hi,

i am new to this board
    from my experiance with scalping, it
    was a total dissaster for me (breaking even in simulation and losses in live trading) just to much pressure,especially with low funds.
    So about 5 years ago i decided to check out some auto trading
    platforms to see how that would turnout.For about 8 months i was programing and back testing about all my time at the computer.Finally about the 9th month i was begining to see that
    for me it was the only way to play the trading game.
    Before i was to emotional(taking my profit to early holding my losses to long)
    With autotrading all emotions were removed,

maybe you should consider auto trading
    there a few out there like ninjatrader thats a free download and easy to program and navigater thats a 30 day download thats also easy to program.
    these are probably the easest to program.

Its just a thought and something you might want to check out before you get discouraged and give up on trading like i almost did.

#29     Jan 23, 2012