TF Stop with IB

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Gonz, May 17, 2013.

1. Gonz

Gonz

Recently i started to trade TF again (1 lot) and I place a stop loss. When the stop loss triggered, it executed 6 ticks above my stop loss price.

So my questions are:

1. Is TF (Russell 2000) such a thin market?
    2. Where does IB held their stop loss order? in server-client or client-side?
    3. Is this a broker issue or does it happen to broker like Tradestation too?

2. Gonz

Gonz

any advise?

3. Back in the days when TF was ER2 in CME it was the thinnest of the 4 main US index futures, but still liquid enough, with the transition to ICE the instrument lost a great deal of the volume it had. I stopped trading it for that reason.

However, if your stop was triggered during a major news event, you could witness significant slippage even on the super liquid ES, making such slippage on TF totally normal.

4. Gonz

Gonz

Thank you for sharing your experiences. But there wasn't any major news (yesterday, 17 May 2013) and the price is within day range, i.e. no high / low breakout.

May i ask which brokerage you are trading with?

5. lwlee

lwlee

Don't know what you are talking about. I regularly trade the TF during regular session. My stops don't slip much or at all. Even after hours. I use IB

6. spd

spd

Ive never had 6 ticks of slippage trading the TF, not during boring or volatile markets.

7. Gonz

Gonz

Do you know if the stop is held in server-side or client-side? Thanks.

8. Gonz

Gonz

I have the log as evidence. If the stop is held on the client-side, then I would understand as my internet connection is pretty bad. If the stop is held on the server-side, then I really wonder why.

Do you think will IB give me a reason on why there is such lousy fill if i submit the log to them?

9. spd

spd

If you have the log you should at least be able to get an answer from IB. I dont trade with them so I cant speak as to where resting orders are held, if I had to guess it would be server side though.

10. lwlee

lwlee

Stop-limit is supported at the exchange.

Stop are simulated by IB.

I always use stop-limit. Might be ur cause.

#10     May 18, 2013