Texes: the French pay 29-percent we pay 22-percent

Discussion in 'Politics' started by andrasnm, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Sorry Pabst, but the London "tube"''s first trains start at 4:30 am and run until 1:30 am.

Honestly I have no idea where you get your facts from.

#11     Oct 25, 2008
  2. ??? So a typical black person is just as eligible for a legacy scholarship into Yale as Bush was.

With seven out of nine Supreme Court Justices appointed by Republicans, who knows what they will disallow.

#12     Oct 25, 2008
  3. In fact, a Black person is more eligible for a Yale scholarship than Bush is. I know retards who got to Yale because they were either women/ blacks and they're totally diluting the prestige of the diploma...
    As a different looking person, I resent that, because my achievement have been somewhat stained by "affirmative action."
    It's like winning a medal in Special Olympics

The supreme court is just fine, Kennedy is playing the moderate. John Roberts is not a crazy wingnut. Fine with me, i'd hate to see someone legislate Gay marriage from he bench. I want SCOTUS to interpret the law not make new laws.

#13     Oct 25, 2008
  4. A panel of 24 of the nation's leading civil engineers, analyzed hundreds of studies, reports and other sources, and surveyed more than 2,000 engineers to determine what was happening in the field.

Aviation: D+

Bridges: C the percentage of the nation's 590,750 bridges rated structurally deficient or functionally obsolete = 27.1%.

Dams : D Since 1998, the number of unsafe dams has risen by 33% to more than 3,500.

Drinking Water: D America faces a shortfall of $11 billion annually to replace aging facilities and comply with safe drinking water regulations. Federal funding for drinking water in 2005 remained level at $850 million, less than 10% of the total national requirement.

Energy (National Power Grid) : D The U.S. power transmission system is in urgent need of modernization. Growth in electricity demand and investment in new power plants has not been matched by investment in new transmission facilities. Maintenance expenditures have decreased 1% per year since 1992. Existing transmission facilities were not designed for the current level of demand, resulting in an increased number of `bottlenecks' which increase costs to consumers and elevate the risk of blackouts.

Hazardous Waste : D Federal funding for `Superfund' cleanup of the nation's worst toxic waste sites has steadily declined since 1998, reaching its lowest level since 1986 in FY05.

Navigable Waterways : D Of the 257 locks on the more than 12,000 miles of inland waterways operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, nearly 50% are functionally obsolete.

Public Parks & Recreation : C Many of our nation's public parks, beaches and recreational harbors are falling into a state of disrepair. Much of the initial construction of roads, bridges, utility systems, shore protection structures and beaches was done more than 50 years ago.

Rail : C For the first time since World War II, limited rail capacity has created significant chokepoints and delays. This problem will increase as freight rail tonnage is expected to increase at least 50% by 2020.

Roads : D Poor road conditions cost U.S. motorists $54 billion a year in repairs and operating costs--$275 per motorist. While long-term Federal transportation programs remain unauthorized since expiring on Sept. 30, 2003, the nation continues to shortchange funding for needed transportation improvements.

Schools : D The Federal government has not assessed the condition of America's schools since 1999, when it estimated that $127 billion was needed to bring facilities to good condition. Other sources have since reported a need as high as $268 billion.

Transit : D Transit use increased faster than any other mode of transportation--up 21%--between 1993 and 2002. Federal investment during this period stemmed the decline in the condition of existing transit infrastructure. The reduction in federal investment in real dollars since 2001 threatens this turnaround.

Wastewater : D Aging wastewater management systems discharge billions of gallons of untreated sewage into U.S. surface waters each year. The EPA estimates that the nation must invest $390 billion over the next 20 years to replace existing systems and build new ones to meet increasing demands. Yet, in 2005, Congress cut funding for wastewater management for the first time in eight years. The Bush administration has proposed a further 33% reduction, to $730 million, for FY06.

America's Infrastructure G.P.A. = D

Total Investment Needs = $1.6 Trillion

http://www.asce.org/reportcard/2005/page.cfm?id=103

#14     Oct 25, 2008
  5. I said they shut down just past midnight. Depending on where one is departing from I'm accurate. There are MANY stations where the last train departs 12:00 to 12:30. "Running" until 1:30 is NOT tantamount to beginning a run.........

#15     Oct 25, 2008
  6. Hmm, there is no such thing as a legacy scholarship into Yale. Absolutely all scholarships awarded by the Ivy League are need-based.

Legacy applicants do indeed have a [significantly] higher chance of admission to Ivy League schools but so do URMs (under-represented minorities).

#16     Oct 25, 2008
  7. Okitiri, there's all kinds of similar bs. I knew a few guys at the CBOT who received MBA's from the University of Chicago. Big brains, eh? Nope. Very little screening-beyond an undergrad degree-for admittance into the night program. Same thing with Northwestern. They have a night program called University College. All one needs is a HS diploma and passage in an English writing class. Your "night school" NU degree is indistinguishable from those awarded the "top 5% of their HS class" who NU targets for day admission.

#17     Oct 25, 2008
  8. Princeton lets in 40% of students on legacy admissions.

You're seriously telling us that you believe that there are that many scholarships for blacks?

#18     Oct 25, 2008
  9. Sorry, I meant "legacy admissions."

URM's will never get to 40% anytime soon.

#19     Oct 25, 2008
  10. Hey Buddy, I have a bridge to sell you. It is in NYC. here is a picture...
    [​IMG]

#20     Oct 25, 2008