Texas - what the hell - huge budget crisis

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Covertibility, Mar 17, 2011.

1. dcvtss

dcvtss

Not ironic at all, in fact I would say your experience is more typical. Cuban Americans, like many other latin americans have in my opinion contributed more than they have taken. The problem is with the Mexicans in the border states, unlike most other immigrants who make the decision to come here and stay, assimilate and view themselves as americans they seem to take the view that they are Mexicans living abroad no matter how long they have been here. This is a big problem when their home country borders the US and feels it has a historical claim to territory.

#31     Mar 18, 2011
  2. EON Kid

EON Kid

Texas is about to get a shot in the arm due to record oil prices

#32     Mar 18, 2011
  3. zdreg

zdreg

your premise is doubtful. most immigrants group live in their own neighborhoods and associate with their own people. they swear they are all going home but few do. there is nothing wrong with that. america has always been a melting pot. it gives the US energyy and new ways of looking at things. each new generation of the immigrants' children becomes more americanized.

get rid of the anchor baby clause in the US constitution(babies born in the US are automatically citizens) in the constitution clause and the # of mexican immigrants will drop precipitously.

#33     Mar 18, 2011
  4. You made a very good point. I agree that immigration has always been an asset to this nation. However, current policies threaten to make this a huge liability.

For the most part America experienced immigration from Europe. Latin America's culture is very different & if unchecked can have negative effects in the US.

But there is a BRIGHT SIGHT. Just in the 1st generation we embrace US culture in MANY MANY ways.

In my family for example, my two brothers came at age 2 & 7. They of course speak English all the time; even to me and our mother. My wife & I usually find ourselves speaking our second language. It’s actually cool & soon you start thinking of yourself as an AMERICAN.

#34     Mar 18, 2011
  5. BSAM

BSAM

#35     Mar 18, 2011
  6. Most of the developed world do not grant citizenship by birth. At least one parent must be a legal citizen or both posses legal status.

This is a loophole and needs to be close.

#36     Mar 18, 2011
  7. No it is not

If high oil prices were a help, we would feel it in 2008 but we did not

Also, budget deficit so huge, 13% royalty tax on gas/oil can not close this hole

#37     Mar 18, 2011
  8. I can't believe no one here has identified the REAL cause of our budget crises...TEACHERS UNIONS, yes the evil unions are the cause of our crises here. Oh yeah and MEXICANS...the evil mexicans oh and I almost forgot LIBERALS running the state, that's the main one, everyone knows that in states where Conservatives are in charge there is no budget crises, therefore it's the liberal states like Texas that are having problems.
    The cure for Texas is the cure the nation needs, put a republican as the governor of Texas, and republicans running the state house and state senate, that will fix things.
    Hook em Horns

#38     Mar 18, 2011
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

wont pass they already table a bill asking for a student's birth certificate.

#39     Mar 18, 2011
  10. You are wrong

Currently, there are hundreds of thousands of kids in the US going to school without a birth certificate or proper documentation because they are illegal.

Yet nobody bothered to ask them their documents.

What kind of fucking admission system in schools we have in this country?

Unbelievable

#40     Mar 18, 2011