Texas - what the hell - huge budget crisis

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Covertibility, Mar 17, 2011.

1. So Texas must not be a good place for you then, huh?

#21     Mar 18, 2011
  2. I know a doctor who works in county hospital in Houston. She said there are people coming from Mexico to get surgery although they are not a resident of Texas nor have green card or citizenship of USA.

The admissions in county hospitals are so out of line and careless, if you show up in the admissions for emergency and say you have no ID/driver license or passport they still let you in and believe your words.

So make up a name address and you are in.

And texans are paying for it.
    That is why any illegal or a tourist can go to these county hospitals and give birth to a child at the expense of the local people.

The whole country is fucked up. who knows what else is going on in govt/county/state owned companies/hospitals?

#22     Mar 18, 2011
  3. Mexicans get here and obtain many benefits...including having kids here to obtain legal status.

Cubans (like me) when we get to America (no matter how) we immediately obtain legal status. However, when Cubans land by sea error in Mexico they are treated like dogs. The Mexican government and authorities ignore this. When we have a free Cuba I will make sure we don’t forget what Mexico has done to us.

I know this thread is not about immigration but US policies are responsible for having so much immigration from Latin America. In a personal case, if the US had some balls it would not had allowed Castro to form a Communist regime and now the 2 million Cubans living the in the US would be happy in Cuba.

Almost every country in Latin America has a reason to come over here due in major part to US past interventions.

Ironically I am a US citizen now. :D

#23     Mar 18, 2011
  4. In Colorado, you have to prove citizenship or legal residency or no bennies. Now in reality, illegal parents can reallocate funds from their legal kid residents and if you show up dieing at the ER you will be treated. But no elective surgery at all.

What I don't get, is Texas has a history of taking no BS, and yet you guys tolerate this nonsense, ie. abuse of social services by illegals. I expect that of folks from California, but Texas c'mon.

#24     Mar 18, 2011
  5. BINGO!

#25     Mar 18, 2011
  6. samus

samus

In Colorado, you have to prove citizenship or legal residency or no bennies. Now in reality, illegal parents can reallocate funds from their legal kid residents and if you show up dieing at the ER you will be treated. But no elective surgery at all.

What I don't get, is Texas has a history of taking no BS, and yet you guys tolerate this nonsense, ie. abuse of social services by illegals. I expect that of folks from California, but Texas c'mon.
    [/QUOTE]

Houston is a known liberal bastion and I'm not surprised. I live in the north Dallas area and it's a lot tougher for illegals in this area to leech off public assistance than it has been in the past.

#26     Mar 18, 2011
  7. zdreg

zdreg

"For example, Texas education is near the bottom because the large Hispanic population does very poorly (as they do in other states). The whites in Texas are doing just fine. "

your viewpoint is the epitome of what is wrong with the US. american parents believe american education is poor except for their own schools. On international comparisons american students rank miserably.

I agree with you about school funding. it is gigo. cut teachers salary by 25%. the resultant change in test scores will be minimal.

#27     Mar 18, 2011
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Habla usted Espanol?

Asi que aprenden mejor!

#28     Mar 18, 2011
  9. yea i suppose its mexicans forcing texas to change their textbooks in favor of teaching creationism and rewriting history. no, texas education problems come from the white conservatives.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/21/texas-board-of-education-_n_584697.html

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas State Board of Education adopted a social studies and history curriculum Friday that amends or waters down the teaching of religious freedoms, America's relationship with the U.N. and hundreds of other items.

The new standards were adopted after a final showdown by two 9-5 votes along party lines, after Democrats' and moderate Republicans' efforts to delay a final vote failed.

In one of the most significant curriculum changes, the board dilutes the rationale for the separation of church and state in a high school government class, noting that the words were not in the Constitution and requiring students to compare and contrast the judicial language with the First Amendment's wording.

#29     Mar 18, 2011
  10. zdreg

zdreg

#30     Mar 18, 2011