Texas - what the hell - huge budget crisis

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Covertibility, Mar 17, 2011.

1. the1

the1

Texas doesn't have a state tax but considering the budget deficit they may start one soon and if you have money living in just about any state is great, assuming the weather doesn't suck.

#11     Mar 17, 2011
  2. wow you edited what you originally wrote fast. i suspect you knew you were on thin ice. in any case here is what you asked for:

In fact, Texas now has one of the worst budget outlooks in the country—worse than California’s, in fact.

Texas has the fourth-largest budget deficit in the country for fiscal year 2012, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

That $27 billion deficit accounts for about 25 percent of the budget. The only states with shortfalls that consume a higher percentage of their budgets are Illinois (50 percent—imagine that?), New Jersey (37 percent) and Nevada (37 percent). Then Texas.

Oh, and California? Its deficit is 22 percent. So congratulations, fellow Texans. We’re now officially worse off financially than the state where good budgeting goes to die.

http://www.texasobserver.org/contrarian/the-budget-deficit-from-hell

#12     Mar 17, 2011
  3. I'm not worse of. I'm in a better financial position than I have ever been in.

Texan's I know are not worse off. Hell, they are making money hand over fist.

Even the typical 9to5ers pulling in 50k a year as a W2 employee are doing ok.

The people that are fucked are the poor and the Middle Class who are in debt, living beyond their means.

The rest of the Texan's are fine.

The whole country if fucked in the above category. Nothing new.

HOW IS THAT HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING OUT FOR YOU?

#13     Mar 17, 2011
  4. Oh yea, keep in mind the Job Growth going on in areas of Texas.

Far more job growth here than in most of the US.

Of course, most are low wage and low salary jobs.

But it's still job growth and that will bring in Dollars.

Like I said, If you work on a W2 bases in Texas, It may be hard for you to make a living unless your lucky enough to find a 50-100k year salary. Not many out there. Average is 40k and lower.

#14     Mar 17, 2011
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

had nothing to do with thin ground. i asked if you had facts to back it up, because i didn't know for sure. so i looked it up, found out for myself and edited my post, removing the request for facts. and percentage wise, you are correct. dollar wise, as i said, california is twice that of texas in terms of the size of the hole. so it's a statistic game.

#15     Mar 17, 2011
  6. d08

d08

Republicans in the US seem to want 2 different things. They want the immigrants out but want the cheap labor to stay cheap, that is impossible.

#16     Mar 18, 2011
  7. its not impossible. they want to force the underclass americans to become the new cheap labor.

#17     Mar 18, 2011
  8. Precisely. Just like eye of Newt Gingrich fell far short of exhibiting any character whatsoever when he cheated on, and left, his cancer-stricken first wife (while cheekily pointing an accusatory finger at Clinton during the Lewinsky affair) for a woman whom he married and then cheated on and left after she had MS, and yet who remains a shining example of all that is right and true for the Republican party.

#18     Mar 18, 2011
  9. Being a native of the Lone Star State, I'll admit to being biased.
    However, the fact that truly, really for real, no shit,
    1/3rd of our entire yearly General Fund is spent on Medicaid might be a factor. Yes, we have an illegal immigrant problem. Yes, their children are fed free in school, and literally treated for free at our hospitals.The children of illegal immigrants receive Medicaid. I don't know how much of that is fraud, but it's a reality we can't deny.

LA has had to close 3 Level 1 Trauma ER's in the past 2 yrs due to THEIR illegal immigrant problem.
    LA county is in debt to the tune of 1 Billion USD, and the majority of that debt is for free medical care handed out to NON citizens, call them what you wish.

So yea, us Texans got a problem.

#19     Mar 18, 2011
  10. samus

samus

If the US adopted the policies of the Mexican government we wouldn't have an issue. Mexico has some serious laws regarding immigration and citizenship...and their country actually enforces them.

#20     Mar 18, 2011