Texas, specifically Dallas, Real Estate

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Brandonf, Oct 19, 2008.

1. It is called "geometric growth" If one netted 10% a month, then as long as one is not trading extremely illiquid instruments, next month is 11%, then 12.1%. etc...

Also, it depends on one's bank account. 10% monthly on $200,000 would exceed most salaried positions.

And further, if netting 10% monthly on rental properties, one could easily afford management, and the properties would explode in number and revenue and wealth over the next 5 years.

#61     Oct 20, 2008
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

I live in Chicago and I believe Austin is far more hip and progressive then San Fran or Seattle. Just my opinion though.

#62     Oct 20, 2008
  3. The views and Orange Line are the straws that got me. It's also right there on quick shopping. The 24/7 Jewel. A few blocks over to the Dominicks and Whole Foods. Easy trip down Michigan to the clients and more shopping. Yeah, I stopped using ORD as a primary long ago. Too much hassle for just about everything. I've cabbed to the MDW terminal from the south loop in under 15 minutes before. :)

#63     Oct 20, 2008
  4. just a fyi for all those who didn't go to fourth grade. then and than are different. You people are giving me a headache trying to read your gibberish.

#64     Oct 20, 2008
  5. Shhhhhh!!! You're giving away our little secrets! LOL!!! I earn Chicasgo $$$ and go back occassionally to stay up to speed and keep things in line. But I enjoy Dallas living costs. And I've banked a ton these past few years. In addition to Mexico, I pop in and out of Vegas to kick back and kill a few bucks too! :)

#65     Oct 20, 2008
  6. I've crisscrosed that state a hundred times....but I must admit that Lubbock was never a stop. Honestly, that really is the kind of town one can do well in. Thanks for the tip.

#66     Oct 20, 2008
  7. ptunic

ptunic

Great discussion guys. Btw I posted on another Texas thread regarding The Woodlands a few weeks ago. I just got back from my trip to Houston/Dallas. I really liked The Woodlands (Houston), but my wife didn't find as many jobs close to there in her interviews as she was hoping. She found a lot of stuff in other parts of Houston but we didn't like those areas quite as much, so Houston's a bit further down the list for now.

We really liked Dallas quite a bit though, and we've lived in Austin 2 years and loved it (she's applying for jobs there now though there are much fewer available, and probably to Dallas + Atlanta soon).

We live in Los Angeles now and love it too, but property is just too high to buy (even now). The kinds of houses in great school districts, upscale, safe, trendy, artsy areas in Texas (or Atlanta right now) which can be had for $200k-500k would cost us 1-3 million in Los Angeles. So that's kind of the angle we're looking at.. standard of living..

Most of our friend's complaint about Texas is the heat/humidity, luckily that doesn't bother us, we're kind of salamanders I guess :)

In terms of "culture" I think you can find wonderful people in any major city. We've seen very good theater/music/art at all these Texas cities. I saw an amazing play in Houston (Cyrano de Bergerac), and just saw King Tut in Dallas. Many of our California friends feel Texas is a wasteland but personally I don't feel that is true at all.

I have some really nice friends who are traders in Austin too. We used to go to Berryhill in West Austin, overlooking this awesome view, drinking some excellent Mexican Martinis (kind of like strong margaritas), good times good times :)

#67     Oct 20, 2008
  8. abe12345

abe12345

You are welcome.

#68     Oct 20, 2008
  9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

This thread has been great, it actually shows ET at it's best. Thank you guys.

#69     Oct 20, 2008