Test your vocabulary

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Overnight

Overnight

@terr Then boy do I have the book for you.

Can spend a lifetime in that book, but will make you a wordsmith.

#21     Feb 6, 2021
    Big AAPL likes this.
  2. You may be an outlier. Anywayz since you say you Russian, does "cucuruz" mean anything to you on the first encounter?

Apparently it's of Slavic descent, word for "corn". Not "mais" as in Italian, not "porumb" as in Romanian (from palumbus, the Latin word for "pidgeon", apparently they thought the corn cob looks like a pidgeon :p).

#22     Feb 6, 2021
  3. terr

terr

"Kukuruza" yes. Funny enough when I looked its etymology up, apparently it is probably from Rumanian "kukurus" - which is a pinecone?

#23     Feb 6, 2021
  4. terr

terr

:) When I was a kid, I used to read the dictionary. Thesaurus is a better alternative, because you don't have to wade through the chaff to get to the gems.

I am trying to get my 9-year-old to like esoteric English words too, so I made it a game. We learn new weird words (like sisyphean, or apocryphal) then try to use them in everyday conversations. Or I misuse a word like that and she has to catch me.

So far we're up to a few hundred such words, and she remembers them pretty well. I just hope she doesn't get ostracized at school for using them.

#24     Feb 6, 2021
  5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I'm going with ON...he knows the English Language...JFTR I scored 28.500 and was humiliated

#25     Feb 6, 2021
    Aquarians likes this.
  6. JSOP

JSOP

This test is very much base on honour system. People can simply lie about their vocabulary size. It's not reliable. If they really want to find out about people's true vocabulary size. They need to ask people to form a sentence with those words or ask them true or false whether a word is used correctly in a sentence.

#26     Feb 6, 2021
    guest_trader_1 likes this.
  7. I scored about 13000, I guess a decent number for a foreigner that never gave a sh*it about learning the language properly.

Now that we are improving the test format, how about to sit down in front of a paper with a pencil and write down the words you know. Time =1h . A good test as well as a torture.

Ape can talk, ape is happy.

#27     Feb 7, 2021
    Aquarians likes this.
  8. "Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 19,100 words"

English is a second language for me.

#28     Feb 7, 2021
  9. Nice. But as far as I'm concern, I'm borrowing angrytrader's line: "Ape can talk, ape is happy." :)

#29     Feb 7, 2021
    guest_trader_1 likes this.
  10. cesfx

cesfx

Bloody foreigner forever :fistbump:

Latin helped in understanding meaning of some words I didn't even know existed in English.

#30     Feb 7, 2021