Test your vocabulary

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Please post your broad and narrow tests. I find it hard to believe.

broad.png

#11     Feb 6, 2021
  2. Narrow:
    narrow.png

#12     Feb 6, 2021
  3. Well just type something there. It's not like they verify you.

Also goes nothing against being honest on the test if you're intelligent. You understand that clicking on words and stating your month of birth are different, unrelated things.

#13     Feb 6, 2021
  4. terr

terr

Aquarians: come on. Step 1 is the simple words. The only thing I wouldn't check would be sedilous, vibrissae and uxoricide. Step 2. is also simple. - really "redolent" is the only one.

I do have to admit I like obscure English words. Like "funambulist" (I think that was in step 3).

#14     Feb 6, 2021
  5. "grumble"
    "stubble"
    "shrivel"
    "pastiche"
    "discomfit"
    "sully"
    "soothsayer"

Please use them consciously in at least 3 different sentences of different contexts.

#15     Feb 6, 2021
  6. Overnight

Overnight

My penis shriveled when I shaved the stubble off of the soothsayer's face after he caused me discomfit and sullied my pastiche when it got covered with shaving cream. I grumbled that it was ruined.

#16     Feb 6, 2021
  7. terr

terr

Seriously? You're grumbling about other people's English vocabulary, rubbing the stubble on your face, while your self-confidence shrivels? Pastiche is a mixture of styles. You're clearly discomfited by your lack of English vocabulary and think it sullies your reputation? I don't have to be a soothsayer to predict that you won't be satisfied by my post.

#17     Feb 6, 2021
    Overnight likes this.
  8. Not sure about "simple". I can read this, it's Romanian, though 128 years old: https://www.povesti-pentru-copii.com/ion-creanga/amintiri-din-copilarie-I.html

I don't really realize it unless I a make a conscious effort to isolate them from the context but I've no idea what these mean:

"vatale"
    "zăplaz"
    "incuri"
    "pocinog"
    "trătaji"
    "pitaci"
    "bucheludeazla"

#18     Feb 6, 2021
  9. What other second language do you speak fluently btw?

#19     Feb 6, 2021
  10. terr

terr

Aquarians, English is fun because it has, by far, the biggest vocabulary out of all languages. When I read Russian (which is my native tongue) it is pretty rare that I come across a word I don't know, and it is usually a neologism that appeared in the last few decades.

I also speak Hebrew pretty fluently, but street Hebrew. Literary Hebrew is tough.

When reading books in English it is pretty often that I see some word I don't know, although I do have to admit that you can see, in your mind's eye, the author reaching for a thesaurus. Like "refulgent". Really? But then that's how I learn new words :) Thank you Kindle for including the dictionary feature.

#20     Feb 6, 2021